Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

What are these old metal things in the Harringay passage? Chimneys? Lamp-posts?

Hi all,

Walking along the Harringay passage I often look I wonder what these are? They seem to be part of something historical system and not in use.

First picture is a kind of squarish metal tower. Someone thought they are chimneys but I checked they are not connected to the houses. They appear between every other street or so. 

Are they part of the sewage system, which I read somewhere is (or was) under the passage. To let air out?

The thing in the second picture looks a bit like a very very high lamp post. They appear somewhat less frequently. Are they old gas-lamps, or perhaps also part of the sewage system?

Anyone who knows?

Or has some interesting theories... :)

Thanks,

Jacob

Views: 1146

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Two different spellings Harringay/Haringey. The map shows Harringay House called Haringey House. The council have adopted "The Ladder" as a way of obliterating Harringay.

Or am I being too cynical and this was just a lovely bit of publicly funded research?

I think there are two maps out of twenty of so from the 19th C that incorrectly use the e spelling. All the others  use the a spelling - as did all of the owners of the house. 

So... just coincidence?

You could check with John H, the author of the piece I linked to. He is a well respected local historian whose family have roots here going back many years (as in mid c19) iirc.

When I lived there I was told the passage runs along the top of the main sewer for the entire estate but later suggestion was it is the top half only which runs into it; the remainder run into sewers under Green Lanes. I am guessing but old sewers remain in use a very long time and the stink pipes are probably still doing their job; lovely bits of square cast iron in some cases.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service