Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just been diverted away from West green Road on my cycle home. Police taped off from the Black Boy Lane mini roundabout.

Does the hive mind know yet what the cause is?

Views: 525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Attached is a letter from the Head of Park View Academy.
Attachments:

Thanks for posting this Hugh. It clearly explains that this was a totally random act of violence, nothing to do with the school except that it involved pupils on their way home from there. The man arrested was said to be a mental health patient living in the community - he got into an altercation with a group of boys and suddenly pulled a knife on them, stabbing four. The boy who died was apparently trying to protect his friends.

Press coverage tended towards the "another teenager killed in fight - ho-hum" variety, and it didn't even make the national news bulletins. Are we really becoming so inured to young peoples' violent deaths that they are less important than the fate of the Olympic Stadium ,the main news that night?

Kasey was well-known and loved locally, not just at Park View, but he went to South Harringay primary school - everyone at his school, teachers and pupils alike, was devastated. It will impact forever on the children who witnessed the killing, but who can even begin to imagine what it's like for his poor family? A real tragedy.

I think this is devastating and am saddened that there are no flowers anywhere on West Green Road as yet. I would like to be able to lay some, and feel that we need to be able to show visibly support in this way for this boy, his family and the school which is part of our community. I don't know where to lay them though and it feels odd to start....I'm impressed by the Heads statement. Apparently he was there so must be personally devastated.
There is definitely a memorial where people have been laying flowers at the spot where Kasey died, but I haven't been down myself so I can't tell you exactly where it is. Somewhere on West Green Road.
there are heaps of flowers inside the gates of one of the entrances to the school, the one near entranace to downhills park.
The following was published in the Evening Standard on 24th January:

Family tribute to teenager killed outside school gates

The family of a 15-year-old boy stabbed to death in north London told today of their devastation.

Kasey Gordon suffered fatal injuries after he and three schoolfriends became involved in a fight with a man only yards from the gates of Park View Academy school in south Tottenham.

Kasey staggered away and collapsed bleeding. He was pronounced dead minutes later, while his friends, two aged 14 and one aged 16, were taken to hospital with injuries which were not life-threatening.

Kasey's distraught family, including parents Oswald and Verona, brother Keiran and sister Karisha, from the Green Lanes area of Harringay, paid tribute to the "funny, smart, athletic and ambitious" teenager.

His father Oswald, 54, an assistant environmental engineer, said his son's death last Thursday was a "terrible loss".

He said: "We are devastated. We did not expect this thing to happen. It was not until we saw the body that it came through to us 100 per cent what happened.

"Without doubt he would have had a bright future. He had this natural charisma that people were attracted to and that made him popular.

"You can see that from the tributes people have put on Facebook*. Throughout Kasey's life, every time he has got a school report back he has got a good report. He was a very likeable chap and the other children looked up to him as a leader."

Kasey's brother Keiran, 18, said the popular teenager was the captain of Park View Academy's basketball team and wanted to take up the sport when he was older.

He said: "He was funny, smart, athletic and ambitious. He was caring. He was popular, even at primary school.

"He had multiple choices for what he was going to do when he was older. He was very athletic, you could give him a sport and he would just do it."

Sister Karisha, 21, said: "He was destined for greatness. He didn't have a girlfriend but the girls liked him. He was a very handsome boy.

"We are just taking each day as it comes. It will always be painful."

Park View headteacher Alex Atherton said: "The whole school community is in shock as we mourn the tragic loss of our student.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends as well as the other three pupils who were injured."

Serif Aslan, 33, is accused of murdering Kasey in West Green Road, South Tottenham. He was due to appear at Highgate magistrates' court today.

HoL Note

* There are at least four tribute pages running on Facebook:

Kasey Orlando Gordon. R.I.P You Will Remembered Foreveer

R I P Kasey Gordon,
Kasey Gordon - Rest In peace
R.I.P Kasey Orlando Gordon

Also on Youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnM4tjQUGKk although be warned there were some extremely shocking racist comments posted under this tribute - fortunately most have been removed, but you can see the anger and upset they generated.

BTW there was an extremely moving and hard to watch documentary on BBC4 this week about all the kids killed in the UK by violence in 2009 - 49 in total, each one a heartbreaking tragedy for the family concerned but to most just another statistic/brief news story. It was particularly interesting to see how often the press paint a completely false picture of the incident, portraying the victim as somehow responsible for their own death ("gang violence" etc), and how demonised young people are today. But sensitively dealt with, seeing the issue from all sides including that of the police.

Scenes from a Teenage Killing. It's a powerful and heartbreaking piece of film-making that raises as many questions as it answers. And still available on BBC iPlayer.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service