Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Ok, not exactly "newsworthy", but of passing interest - they've just cleared the ground at the Harringay End of the Bridge across to Stroud Green.

Creating vistas that railway enthusiasts will, I imagine, thrill to.

Views: 95

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think this is local newsworthy. As someone who uses the Harringay railway over-bridge frequently I noticed the difference immediately.

As for creating vistas for railway enthusiasts, I would like to report what I see as a missed opportunity:

For years, the railway bridge in Oakfield Road over the north London line had jagged corrugated iron along the sides. Not only did it look more at home in a third-world country but it obstructed remarkable views to the east and west. In the summertime with trees in leaf for hundreds of metres in either direction, you could be forgiven for thinking you were in the countryside.

This was a bone of contention for some time. I even dragged out the Chairman of the GLA Transport Committee to inspect the ramshackle fence.

Finally between last December and May, a substantial brick wall was erected along either side of the bridge. I'm sure it conforms to regulations. But could it not have allowed any view? Its about six feet high. Look what it obscures:

View west towards Crouch Hill Station

View east towards Harringay Green Lanes Station

[I took these shots in 2004 with the aid of a step-ladder]
Is the track on the left the 'Harringay Bend' which links the East Coast mainline with Gospel Oak and Willesden/Acton and the West?

What's needed at Harringay is for the fence to be modified to block access to the land behind the houses but to provide a safe enclosure to overlook the tracks. It would be great if there could be access to the overgrown land BUT those of us who remember the burglary epidemic of the 90's from that land might not be so keen. Anyone for a garden on the cleared land?
Allotments!
This crew?

(Have already set them on to the small garden around SG Library after my visit there.
The rules require bridge parapets to be 6 feet high and "imperforate" where there are overhead wires above the track. There's a small possibility of this line being electrified with overhead lines, so I'd imagine they chose to follow these rules.

(btw This is properly called the Gospel Oak to Barking Line - The Goblin. The North London Line is the Stratford-Highbury-Richmond line)
Thanks for this Mr Thant. What does imperforate mean? The Goblin parapets are handsome as far as they go, but they do look like an 'off the peg' pattern. Are there no railway bridges in the country that are modified to take account of views?

I think to have these bucolic scenes in London is remarkable and could be encompassed. Surely it is not beyond the wit of an architect or engineer to come up with something that could meet the rules and provide glimpses for pedestrians? We're not all motorists fixed on the road and rushing to get somewhere else.
Solid/opaque. I think the fear is kids poking things through holes and getting electrocuted. It's a longstanding policy.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service