Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just came across this from 1968:

Was it really that dark?

(See the original on Flickr here)

Tags for Forum Posts: public transport, tube

Views: 189

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe there was a time in eastern Europe, more than 100 years ago, when merely carrying a map would be suspicious and possible evidence of spying.
Do print off and carry that bust card, and the statement from the Met that explains to police and maybe even station staff, that It Is Not Illegal To Take Photos In Public. And never ever delete files at their behest. Be a martyr and make them try to arrest you first. Call Hickman&Rose lawyers on 0207 702 5331, they are advising the NUJ and others on this and will explain to that nice station surveillance expert that, no, they can't make you delete your artworks. Pass it on. Oh and BTW you can recover deleted images with ordinary recovery software, as long as you dont take more pics on the same card. Don't tell them that bit.
I've taken photos of the decorative iron vents at Turnpike Lane and Manor House with no trouble, except a concerned commuter came up and asked if they were to be taken away.
Wasn't the tube made no smoking after the King's Cross fire?
1984 ban, 1987 fire. "A discarded match was thought to be the cause of the King's Cross fire in November 1987 which killed 31 people. The blaze started in a shaft by a wooden escalator serving the deep-level Piccadilly line and spread to the ticket hall above. Although smoking had been banned on Tube trains three years earlier a similar ban was not enforced on platforms or within stations. The escalator running track was covered in grease and rubbish, causing flames to spread rapidly.

"Smoking was then banned throughout the Tube network." from Evening Standard online.

I'd remembered it as a ban everywhere from the start, so we're both right.
The Tube carriages were made no smoking first. The stations became no smoking later, after Kings Cross.

OOPS ! Pamish got in first :-)
The trains were 50% -50% smoking - non-smoking cars..

on an eight car Piccadilly Line train 1956-1959 stock (stock seen in photo above) ..

M x T x T x M - M x T x T x M

The motor cars were the non- smoking cars and the trailers smoking..

ediT: That's better!
is that john betjeman on the platform ?
No, Hitchcock.
Yes it was that dark. I seem to recall the (LER - London Electric Railway) style lamps used to sway with the draughts of the trains. They were to be seen on most 'tube' lines as well as on the Met at King's Cross, Aldgate East & Whitechapel (all three rebuilt in the 1930s).

These lamps were replaced in a scheme which commenced around 1970/71, which also saw much vandalism on the Piccadilly line incl. Manor House & Turnpike Lane when most of it's original 1930s lighting was scrapped and flourescent introduced..

It was possible to purchase original brass escalator uplighters second hand at transport fleamarkets.. now why didn't I buy about 50 of them ?
Phew, we got there. Thanks Steve.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service