Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

When I was cutting my hedge I found a wallet stuffed in it.

It was mainly intact (i.e. cards, but no cash) and I soon located the owner on the internet. He came in past to collect it.

He told me the night before that he'd been into Tesco on Green Lanes at around 11pm. He said some "kids" had asked him for money on the way out. He ignored them.

What he didn't notice was that they followed him up the street. When he got to his front door, literally on his doorstep, to let himself into his home, he was mugged. They said, he said, they had a knife and he handed over his wallet. On his doorstep!

He only had a fiver, so handed it over. They took the cash and dumped the wallet in my hedge on the way back down to Green Lanes.

Care needed - I always look to see if anyone is around before I let myself in, when it is dark. Hopefully it's not too common an occurrence...

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What difference would it make looking round at your door if they are intent on a robbery? Except they would not be able to get into your house easily if they (unlikely) wanted to.  Listening for footsteps behind would be more useful, and heading back to bright lights if they sound wrong.

I've seen it recommended that we all carry a spare wallet, with expired cards and a fiver, to sacrifice in such a situation.  Has anyone ever managed to do that, in the high-adrenalin moment?

PS I always look behind me before opening my door, my anxiety is more about unwanted visitors than losing a wallet....

good for you in making the effort to track him down and return the cards to him.

I don't think he did (report it), and in any event he had cancelled all his cards!!

Pamish I don't follow the looking round at my door reference?

I look to see if anyone is around - either behind me on the street or behind the hedge before stepping off the public highway. Like you, if I was being "followed" I'd do something else - cross over and walk back down to Green Lanes. Hope that helps you.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service