Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

First and most importantly, a big thank-you from Karen and me for having made us your councillors for the past four years, and a further big thank-you from Karen, Asha and me for the friendly reception we’re getting on your door-steps, as we call on you in order to speak about the next four years.

This campaign has been particularly pleasant for us because, of course, we already know many of you from the years we have spent together in sorting out problems with the local authority and campaigning for improvements to the local area – such as the pedestrian crossing now installed at Falkland Road, the camera on Wightman Road for detecting HGVs and the crossing that we’ve been pushing for at Alroy Road (about which we expect to hear more next month).

The question for the electorate

In this election, the question to be decided is whether the Labour group, which has ruled this borough for 40 years, deserves to be placed in charge for another four.

The answer we would give to that question is a decided no. Everywhere there are signs of the sloppiness typical of parties that have been in power for too long.

You already know about the £3.7 million paid in bonuses to staff of the council’s housing services while repairs go undone.

You already know about the money spent on trip to the French Riviera to attend a conference with developers about carving up Tottenham.

And you already know that a report which Haringey itself commissioned (“Outstanding for All”) said of the Council’s education services that “some schools are successful in spite of, rather than because of, the services provided.”

But you may not already know that in just the past few weeks

●    the Labour mayor, has been slated by the council’s standards committee for using her position for her private benefit.

●    a High Court Judge has said this said about the latest scandal to hit the children’s services department (in a case where abused children from a single family were stopped from seeing one another ever again):

“The essential failures in this case almost beggar belief…. There seems to have been a great lack of communication between a range of different professionals such that in the end no one knew what had been decided by whom or when or why, and everyone seem to have completely overlooked … that there was in place a very clear court order in relation to these children …. [Haringey’s own barrister] has said that there was, in this case, ‘systemic corporate failure.’”

●    the Labour Council has failed to spend almost £1 million of the “Families in Crisis Fund” made available to it by the government to help people with financial hardship. So while they complain about the withdrawal of housing benefit for spare rooms, but when it comes to using the tools available to help the people who have from this change, they have sat on their hands.

If not Labour then, why choose us?

Firstly, we are the only alternative. Only Labour and the Lib Dems have elected councillors anywhere in Haringey.

Secondly, the election is extremely close in this ward. Last time I won by only 13. To vote for anyone other than us is to risk the loss of the dedicated team which works hard for you right here. It is also to risk another 4 years of Labour in charge of the Council.

Thirdly, and most importantly, we are a team which has the skills and the dedication to keep questioning council officials to ensure that they are up to the mark, so that the scandals I’ve just referred to become things of the past.

Now for our specific proposals.

You can see the detail in our manifesto here http://www.lynnefeatherstone.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Haringe...

A few highlights:

●    We will freeze Council Tax for the next four years. This is something that I’ve been campaigning about since 2009. Don’t be fooled by Labour’s promise. They’ve only frozen the Tax in the past because the government has given them a grant to do so.

●    We will spend an extra £1 million to resurface our roads. Don’t be fooled by Labour’s £25 million. That’s just the roads budget for everything connected with them.

●    We will start the statutory process for bringing in a register of landlords, so that we can crack down on the rogues. Labour have only promised “to explore the case for a selective licensing scheme.”

●    We will ensure that all of our schools are rated “good” or “outstanding” and to get there, we will actually implement the recommendations of the “Outstanding for All” report on the Borough’s schools. Right now, the school which deals with difficult pupils, (the Pupil Referral Unit) is in special measures. The Council has given up on it  and is seeking to turn it into an academy. We’ll do better than that..

●    We will bring in LED street lighting at a speedy pace – far faster than the 40 years envisaged by Labour. These lights use less power, produce less carbon, and are cheaper to run than the ones now in place. They are also brighter and can therefore have an impact on crime.

●    We have specific proposals about helping the economy and business and to prevent Green Lanes from becoming a ghost town.

Things like 30 minutes’ free parking, so that our traders can take advantage of passing trade and keep their connections with customers who’ve moved away.

Things like apprenticeship fares. Things like my leaflet to traders to explain and encourage uptake of the government’s scheme.

●    We will promote integration of health and social care through pooled budgets, as Islington did when we were in control. This enables a co-ordinated approach for people who need both services, and it saves money.

Note that we have put forward most of these already as budget amendments. To that, we have had to show where the money is to come from, and we have to persuade officials that our figures are correct. So what follows is realistic and certainly not pie in the sky.

What about this Ward?

We will deliver a comprehensive traffic survey to ensure that the load is spread fairly. Piecemeal measures just aren’t good enough.

We will consult on improvements to Ducketts Common.

We will increase our support of residents’ and traders’ associations, especially in the Turnpike Lane area, so that it too can receive attention as Green Lanes has finally been able to achieve..

After 40 years in power, Labour cannot be relied upon.

Our record of achievement in opposition shows that we are ready for the challenge of leading this Borough. And in this Ward, the work done done by Karen, Asha and me shows that we work all year round and care for the community we serve.

The time has come to give the Liberal Democrats the chance to show what we can do.

Please vote for us on Thursday the 22nd.

St. Ann's Ward

If you live in St. Ann’s Ward, please remember that you have an alternative to Labour’s shambolic organisation there. Vote for Mihai Ghertan, Alison Prager and Tola Ariyo.

Mihai is a local accountant,

Alison is a local resident who who helped offenders in Haringey through the probation service for 14 years before becoming a full-time carer.

Tola is finishing his law degree at the LSE. Before that he was the first pupil at Haringey 6th Form College to get an Oxbridge interview.

With best wishes,

David Schmitz

Karen Alexander

Asha Kaur

Tags for Forum Posts: 2014 elections

Views: 916

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

David, as you have raised the issue of St Ann's ward, can I please thank you. But also suggest you are being far too diplomatic when you describe it as "shambolic organisation"

The selection of Labour candidates for St Ann's ward was deliberate and organised vote-rigging and broke the Labour Party's own published rules.  If people live in that ward or have family or friends who live there, I would urge them not to vote for any of the three "Labour" candidates.  If they haven't followed the discussion on HoL - and I know many people haven't - I strongly suggest they read John McMullan's thread on HoL here.

Anyone who wants more information is welcome to contact me directly. alan.stanton@virgin.net

Declaration of Interest. My wife Zena Brabazon is one of the two deselected Labour councillors for St Ann's ward. The other is David Browne.   Harringay ward candidate Emine Ibrahim is one of the very few Labour councillors or candidates who had the courage to stand out against the vote-rigging and rule-breaking.

I am standing down as Tottenham Hale councillor.

Hi Jonny,

I'm grateful to you for this question.

It works like this:

People who operate HMOs (by which is meant properties where the tenants share facilities, as opposed to properties divided up into self-contained flatlets), need a licence in order to operate legally, provided that the house is of 3 storeys or more. Anyone who operates without a licence commits a criminal offence and housing benefit paid to such a person can be clawed back.

Because most houses in Harringay Ward are only 2 storeys high, it means that, but for one additional provision, Harringay would be exempt from the relevant controls.

Under that additional provision, however, a special direction can be made, removing the 3-storey requirement. This was done for Harringay in October 2011. It also covers the east side of Green Lanes, together with all of Salisbury Road in  St Ann’s Ward.

I would criticise the Council for taking so long to bring the direction in, but it's fair to say that there is an excellent team of council officers, under the leadership of Mr. Steve Russell, who are engaged in enforcement.

For the sake of completeness, I should also mention that a flat which is occupied by unrelated people sharing facilities is also an HMO, but other flats in the same building which are not so occupied are not.

To make matters even more interesting, there is such a thing as a Section 257 HMO. This section applies if the house was converted into flats and if at the time of conversion, the works did not comply with building regulations then in force. In such a case, the HMO rules apply even to self contained flats not subject to share occupancy.

So HMOs already need to be licensed in Harringay Ward and part of St. Ann's. Needless to say, it is necessary to look into getting further directions wherever there are numbers of 2-storey HMOs elsewhere in the Borough.

[Deep breath]

What we Lib Dems are trying to do, on top of all this, is to introduce a licensing scheme for all landlords, HMOs or not,  wherever there is evidence that to do so would help to reduce crime (this being a statutory requirement for introducing such a scheme). This is usually not  hard to prove, because ill-managed premises often offer opportunities for criminals. Once a scheme is in place, every landlord letting premises in the area covered by the scheme will need a license, and letting without one would become a criminal offence.

At the last budget meeting, we put forward a proposal to engage in the necessary statutory consultation for bringing in such a scheme. Although it could have been paid for out left-over money from the "One Borough One Future Fund", because Labour had not been able to think of any way to spend most of the money that they had set aside for it, Labour nonetheless voted it down.

Hi David

I would wish you well in the upcoming election. You have been very helpful and kind.  You have assisted many of the vulnerable people I work with who find the bureaucracy of the council impossible.

Thank you

Con

This means a great deal to me, Con.

Thank you.

Best,

David

Hi David, I am interested in your proposal to implement 30 mins of free parking for people to access shops on green lanes. What is the benefit for Harringay residents ? Have other areas in London achieved an increase in trade without impact to local street parking, congested side roads or increased pollution . I would very much be in favour of improved dialogue with traders and perhaps they could increase trade through other means such as taking ownership of the pavement outside their shop, keeping it clear of litter, disposing of rubbish correctly and encouraging their customers to act in a neighbourly manner. I would be concerned that extra cars parking on green lanes or side roads would cause more congestion, more traffic passing through side roads and more pollution. If the shops provide a good enough service then people are surely happy to pay a bit at pay and display to access these shops ?

Hi Woody,

My apologies for the delay in replying.

I believe it's important to remember that our proposal would not increase the amount of car parking. It would merely encourage a greater turnover of the spaces already available, so that these could be used more readily to support our local traders.

It is, I feel, important to do this, especially in Harringay. We are blessed with a number of small independent shops, but they are in danger of failing if they receive no help with parking. This is because they would lose passing trade and would also lose the opportunity to keep up links with established customers who have moved away from the immediate area.

In my view, we have to be alert to the danger that Green Lanes and high streets elsewhere in Haringey may begin to fill up with abandoned shop premises – something which would definitely be against the interests of residents.

You can read local business owners views on the effect of parking charges on their trade here:

http://www.haringeyindependent.co.uk/news/11180213.New_parking_rest...

http://www.hamhighbroadway.co.uk/news/spotlight_fifth_generation_cr...

The Federation of Small businesses has also backed our parking policy: http://haringeylibdems.mycouncillor.org.uk/2014/04/03/federation-of...

In an FSB survey 75% of small to medium businesses said that parking charges were a major issue for small companies, equal to business rates.

Of course, this forms only a part of our transport policy. Locally, as I've mentioned above, we are pledged to commission a comprehensive traffic survey. Again, as already mentioned, we want to make cycling safer by budgeting £1 million for resurfacing and road repairs.

I hope this assists.

Best,

David

'our proposal would not increase the amount of car parking. It would merely encourage a greater turnover of the spaces already available' This is nonsense. It's illogical to conclude that offering a period of free parking would encourage drivers to vacate spaces more often! Studies (e.g. Shoup, D. (1997) The High Cost of Free Parking) conclude that providing free parking creates an economic incentive for drivers to 'cruise' in search of a free parking space (thus creating more congestion, road danger and air pollution), and that to reduce the ‘cruising’ time, on street parking locations need to charge to create turnover of the space.

Hi David

I've got a question about rubbish and litter. I know it doesn't have the same impact on people's lives as say a lack of affordable housing, but it's one of those things that affects all of us every day and can make a real difference to how people feel about their neighbourhood.

So I'd like to know what your view is on the fortnightly collections, on how to deal with collections from HMOs and flats, and collections from businesses from Green Lanes. Do you think the current regime works, and if not what would you do to improve it?
Hi Alison,
I of course agree with everything you've said and have done so ever since, a couple of years ago, I saw a lady leaping balletically onto the top of a bin in order to attempt the exercise of squashing down the contents.
Our manifesto addresses the point in this way:
"Labour's one-size-fits- all fortnightly waste collections have left some roads blighted with smelly, overflowing bins or bins blocking pavements. We will re-introduce weekly collections on these streets."
Best,
David
Hi David, which roads would this weekly collection apply to? Is there a list you can share?

To bin or not to bin? Aye, there's the rub-bish. Though there are  some streets and blocks where variations have been made to deal with special circumstances.

David, as you've volunteered to be wack-a-mole-on-HoL for your party, can I suggest It would been more honest if both Labour and LibDems had, from the start, approached this problem differently.

Labour could and should have accepted there were very real problems with the waste collections. But the LibDems should surely have accepted that there are very many roads where the fortnightly general waste collections have  worked and where weekly recycling collections proved effective. 

My perspective on this was strongly influenced by taking part in the Environment Scrutiny Panel chaired by Labour Cllr Stuart McNamara;  whose members included LibDem Cllrs Karen Alexander and Jonathan Bloch and independent Cllr Lyn Weber.  It was collaborative, civil, and decidedly grown-up. Not the playground politics we suffer in Council meetings.  Stuart and the others made thoughtful and constructive suggestions - crucially, aimed at getting the scheme to work better.

A similarly constructive approach came from Liz Ixer (HoL Admin) at a St Ann's/Harringay Area Forum in July 2012.  Liz presented a selection of photos with her thoughts and suggestions. She was sharply critical. But it was as a "critical friend". So I was very disappointed that her work and contribution was - in my view - not properly valued and learned from.  View her slideshow here.

Obviously I don't expect any intelligent fresh ideas in the Koberfesto. But have you  any views on how the next council could have more grown-up politics and less of the silly playground stuff?

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor till 22 May)

Paul, I'm unaware of such a list, but I guarantee that the 'Miltons' (Avenue, Park and Road) in Highgate would be on any such a list, if not at the top.

This is a densely populated area – more so than the Ladder – with many flats and little to no garden. The only space for the big bins is on the pavement.

I have little doubt there are other areas of our Borough which also need special accommodation. One-size-fits-all does not work and it needs to be adjusted to take account of the roads in which it clearly does not work.

Disclosure:
I am a prospective councillor candidate
Highgate Ward | Liberal Democrat Party

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service