Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Volunteer for Big Waterways Clean Up 2012: (and spare a thought for our New River)

Big Waterways Clean Up 2012 is a London 2012 campaign to improve the East London’s waterways by July 2012.

The aim is to connect Londoners to their rivers and canals as safe and fun places for people and wildlife into the future.

BWCU2012 is seeking anyone of any age to get involved in this mass volunteer-led initiative to inspire community activity and produce a lasting legacy for Londoners and their local neighbourhoods.

Given the occasional but regular interest in sorting out our own stretch of river, I spoke with Ben Fenton at Thames 21 to see if there was an opportnity for people here to set up a New River project as part of this activity.

Sadly, since we're not an Olympic borough, we're outside the scope of the campaign. Ben also mentioned that Thames Water have become very cautious about granting permission for volunteers to carry out work on the New River since a recent New River tragedy when sadly a child died. And, of course, there's the age old issue of the funding that will be required!

However, Ben is keen to get a project going so I've sent him my contact details and he'll let me know when and if a project gets off the ground. (Or contact him yourself at ben.fenton@thames21.org.uk)

In the manetime, if you get involved in the Big Waterways Clear Up, Thames 21 say that individuals and community groups will be offered free training, allowing you to deliver your own waterway improvement volunteer events.

More about the Big Water Clear Up here.

Tags for Forum Posts: new river, new river path

Views: 135

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that the New River as it runs along the ladder is an unused asset. Stretches of it are beautiful, but inaccessible. Water is dangerous, but that is no reason not to use it as an amenity, London has many accessible canals and rivers elsewhere. The riverbank needs to be more accessible and better managed. I think it needs to be taken out of the hands o Thames Water and looked after by either Haringey.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service