Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Is anyone having to reboot their router/modem regularly with Virgin Broadband? We're having to do it at least once a day. I think it may be a problem with their servers locally so if I notice a disconnect I will post the time on here, I would appreciate if others could do the same.

Tags for Forum Posts: broadband, consumer complaints, virgin media

Views: 807

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This from our event log this morning: Anyone else get problems at 8:22 or 10:46?

Fri Jan 08 10:46:58 2010 Fri Jan 08 10:46:58 2010 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync
Fri Jan 08 10:43:12 2010 Fri Jan 08 10:43:12 2010 Critical (3) Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Fri Jan 08 08:22:42 2010 Fri Jan 08 08:22:42 2010 Critical (3) DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Fri Jan 08 08:22:20 2010 Fri Jan 08 08:22:20 2010 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...
Fri Jan 08 08:22:30 2010 Fri Jan 08 08:22:30 2010 Critical (3) SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...
Fri Jan 08 08:22:03 2010 Fri Jan 08 08:22:03 2010 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Fri Jan 08 08:21:59 2010 Fri Jan 08 08:21:59 2010 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Fri Jan 08 08:21:59 2010 Fri Jan 08 08:21:59 2010 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Fri Jan 08 08:21:57 2010 Fri Jan 08 08:21:57 2010 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Fri Jan 08 08:21:55 2010 Fri Jan 08 08:21:55 2010 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Fri Jan 08 08:21:52 2010 Fri Jan 08 08:21:52 2010 Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
I'm not in Harringay (over in N4,Stoud Green Road) but I'm having similar issues. If you look at the modem (think its called a webstar?) status page at http://192.168.100.1 , look at the 'signal' page, does it display "not ready" or "unlocked" in the upstream status area when you can't connect? Mine always says this when I have a problem and "operational" when working.

The downstream status always seems ok. This fits in that watching TV still works, but internet doesn't.

I found that powering the modem off-on doesn't resolve it. However last time I did it, I left it off for 3 minutes and then turned it on. It connected first time. Maybe coincidence.
1:54am, Saturday 9th Jan.
11:44pm, Saturday 9th Jan.
2:51pm, Sunday 10th Jan.
I thought it was just mine! I am having to reboot the router daily now, as the problem started a couple of weeks ago. It may be worth everyone raising the issue, I will be calling them tomorrow.
Our internet was not working for at least half a day last Thursday (the 7th) By chance, there was a virgin media van stuck on ice in our road. The helpful engineer agreed to come in and have a look at what might be causing the problem - within 2 minutes he'd decided that we needed a new modem (and said he could fit in then and there if operations would add it to his list of jobs for the day - of course they wouldn't and we have now had to wait until tomorrow (monday) for another engineer to be sent out).

Interestingly, in the meantime, our internet seems to have started working again. We still have to restart/unplug it a lot, and connection does drop for no reason - so we are hoping that the engineer who comes tomorrow will at least be able to do something to make the service we get more consistent! I'm fed up of paying for something that never works properly (and when I mentioned this to the man on the phone, and said that if an engineer couldn't come for 3 days I wanted some money back, he promptly credited our account with £10).

Sky is starting to look very appealing. Plus they have a nicer remote control.
12:25am, Monday 11th Jan.
Odd, we're with Virgin and I used to just plug the modem directly into my Mac laptop - and lost connection at least once or twice a day, as described. Sometimes this would be fixed by the tried and tested "switching the modem off and on" again method, but not always.

We've now got a Belkin wi-fi router and I don't seem to have this problem anymore - as a not particularly techie person this doesn't make much sense to me (we're using the same old Virgin modem plugged into the Belkin router after all) but this has seemed to fix it. Maybe it just coincided with a bit of maintenance work by Virgin? But it doesn't sound like it if everyone else locally is still having the same problem...
I spoke to a scotsman at Virgin about the problem... they are sending an engineer to replace my modem (4 months old) on the 18th and if THAT doesn't help then they'll "look further up the line". I gather from my trawling of various websites that this is going to be a long journey with a reasonable chance of a resolution. Interestingly a lot of people are pointing the finger at the introduction of the 50Mb service. Yes I did tell them that my "neighbours" are getting disconnects at the same time but it appears they have to start with replacing MY modem.
We quit Virgin over a year ago now when one of our phones went down 6 months previously. By the end of the six month journey they had managed to disconnect both phones and internet, and cost us a lifetime in phonecalls and exasperation. Fine when working, hell when it breaks!!
There is definitely an issue on Virgin's end as many of you have complained about the same problem; I presume you all have different configurations and operating systems. I think you should consider writing an open letter to Virgin instead of getting hold of someone at tech support this sounds like it needs to go higher in the company.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service