Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Is anyone having to reboot their router/modem regularly with Virgin Broadband? We're having to do it at least once a day. I think it may be a problem with their servers locally so if I notice a disconnect I will post the time on here, I would appreciate if others could do the same.

Tags for Forum Posts: broadband, consumer complaints, virgin media

Views: 809

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Clive

Nice to know that there is someone who is even more cynical than I am!

But a search for this name quickly comes up with a reference from 2005 for this individual at NTL (more or less the same address) - described as very helpful! Presumably VM have whipped him into the company line...

So he does seem to be real, although this doesn't help.
Here is the reason you are experiencing problems with virgin Media.
If you purchase the cheapest package and have not 'upgraded' your package you are part of the 80% of customers that produce 20% of the profit. This is called 'Paretos principle' which claims that a companys profit is made up of 80% of customers providing 20% of profit, the other 20% of customers provide 80% of the profit. The idea is for the company to 'dissuade' those 80% 'dead weights' and encourage the 20% 'golden customers' to stay.
It is not a coincidence you are treated badly (but not illegally) to encourage you to go away. If you purchased the 'high end package' of services which costs the most you would not be experiencing these problems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principle
I also experienced terrible service from VM but when i told them that i ''was not going to leave out of spite'' for them, the problems cleared themselves up.
I take your point - but my package is actually near the top! One down from the fastest broadband, and all TV channels apart from premium sports & movies.
Not just Virgin - I am experiencing same with TalkTalk
David Budworth, Deputy Personal Finance Editor of The Times, wrote an article called 'Complaints? Get up close and personal.' (Sat 18th 2010)

As I don't pay for the 'new' TimesOnline service I'll have to quote here what I think are useful points;

1. go straight to the top with complaints bypassing initially the call centres/customer service
2. use ceoemail.com to find the CEO's email address (although today 25/09 apparently its bandwidth has been exceeded, so try later). Or use this other CEO email list website. Virgin: neil.berkett@virginmedia.co.uk
3. The Financial Ombudsman Service's (FOS) recent report on complaints handling by banks, insurers & building societies shows that their naming and shaming policy, publishing complaints data on these businesses, has not worked as the number of complaints has gone up in the last year.
4. Conclusion; 'They could not give a fig'. Institutions are basically only interested in increasing profits by shifting bucketfuls of products. Success is about improving the bottom line (profit) not customer service.
5. The FSO is looking at regulation to improve complaints process

This website advises;

'*Be polite; Keep the information concise and to the point
*Include customer reference numbers or invoice numbers, if applicable; Include a brief history of the issue, if applicable
*Do not accept being passed back to "Customer Services" or elsewhere within the organisation
*Insist on a reply from the CEO '

Records in writing are important. Phonecalls aren't a record.

Obviously the above applies to all companies, not just financial services.
Matt,

Just a quick thanks. We finally resorted to email Neil Berkett with regards to our ongoing Virgin Media issues (since June!). We got an email back from him within 4 minutes and a call from his office half an hour later. An engineer was sent round the next day and it was fixed within 48 hours.

Seems like you really do have to go all the way to the top with Virgin!

Thanks for the tip!

Joe
That's extraordinary.
Nope. I get better on my phone with 3G. Engineer visit X 3, new modem, finally they will up the power for your signal. I bet all your neighbours are suffering too.
9.75MB/s at the moment but dropped out completely for 2 hours yesterday evening
I had an engineer round yesterday because my internet was so slow in the evening it took half a minute to load the bbc homepage. He told me there was nothing wrong with my signal and the problem lies at the base station in the area its amplifier isn't strong enough and thats why between 6-11pm it slows down because of demand, he told me the more people that complain the more they'll strengthen the signal, so we'll see.
If you want to take this further you could contact Alvin Graham - local operations manager - alvin.graham@virginmedia.co.uk

This seems to be in his area of responsibility and the more he knows about what is really going on in his area the better.

Nice to see that this is still rumbling along! Can I refer folks to my posting on 7 Oct re local management?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service