Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

In a long reply on another post on HMOs last week, I concluded with the following paragraphs:

Summary

In essence this is where we are at today:

1. The Council has recognised that there will be a substantial increase in demand for HMOs.
  2. New legislation frees up the supply of housing available for use as HMOs.
  3. The Council has chosen not to use available powers to limit that supply because they say it is too expensive.
  4. Instead they have opted for an approach which depends on managing the quality of HMOs and relies solely on enforcement.

So what’s the likely result? Well You tell me, but what I see is that unless the Council decide to use Article 4, with the liberalised controls, the increased demand for HMOs will be met with an increased supply; the Council's enforcement team will do their best to police HMO quality, but if Council performance on the control of illegal conversions is anything to go by the impact will be limited.

What's the Solution?

I'd like to hear that I'm wrong in drawing the conclusions that I do, but it seems to me that we desperately need Article 4. Other Councils seem to agree. They're applying for it.  Haringey say it’s too expensive. What exactly is the cost? I’d like to see the Council’s report on that.

I’ve been told that much of the cost is in the need to apply for the powers. However, in a previous post I quoted the Royal Planning Institute:

“Most importantly the Minister is also advising that councils with policies already limiting HMO development in parts of their locality, can bring in Article 4 Directions straightaway, without notice, to coincide with the national policy change.”

The problem we had with the spread of gambling establishments was principally an issue with national legislation that the Council had little influence on. With this issue, the Council has the power to control the unmanaged spread of HMOs. If five years down the line, the borough is witnessing multiple problems as a result of an explosion of HMOs we will be justified in pointing the finger at the Council as being responsible and justified in holding them accountable for failing to use the powers that are available.

I'm posting here just to check if folk think we should consider applying pressure for Article 4 or just let the fates do their worst?

Tags for Forum Posts: HMOs Article 4, hmos, new hmo controls, 2011

Views: 1799

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alan, I'd have thought that as well as quite rightly considering any costs of adopting and enforcing A4D any cost analysis ought also to consider the cost to the borough of NOT adopting it. I wouldn't be surprised to see that both the financial and social costs of the latter option would outstrip the do-nothing option.

Since a decision about A4D seems to have been taken on the basis of cost, I imagine the Council will have done all these cost comparisons in their HMO report. I look forward to reading it.

apologies for posting a link to a Daily Mail story but a couple who ran a "guesthouse" were fined a £90,000 for running an unlicenced HMO and not having a fire certificate

What caught my eye was that they were ordered to repay housing benefit that was paid to them while the property was unlicenced. I was not aware this was possible. I wonder if Haringey has ever gone down this route and been successful? If it possible to recoup housing benefit from illegal HMOs and this was implemented, then this would surely be a big stick to wield over rogue landlords?

"His parents, who are in their seventies, pleaded guilty at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court in November to not having a fire certificate or being registered as a house of multiple occupancy. 

They were fined £39,500, plus council costs of £19,600. An appeal last month against £24,000 in multiple occupancy fines was dismissed.

A separate recovery order was granted by the London Residential Property Tribunal for £9,305.12 in housing benefit paid by the council while the property was unlicensed."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2013908/Michaels-Guest-Hous...

I've had an email from Cllr Canver today offering to have a meeting about this with those who expressed an interest. I'll come back to you with her suggested date as soon as I have it.

Hi Hugh, How about 4 August 6pm @ Civic Centre? Unfortunately my diary is full until then.

Marc Dorfman, Asisstant Director Planning and Regeneration will join us. His office will send you the official invite.

Thanks

Thanks Nilgun. Unfortunately 4/8 won't work for me. Is there an alternative?
OK, we have a second offer for a meeting with Cllr Canver and Marc Dorfman, Assistant Director for Planning, Regeneration and Economy.

Tue. 26 July, 6pm @ Civic Centre

Any good for folk who said they were interested?
I'm afraid I'm not in town for the 26th or the 4th ...
Hi Hugh,  I can make it for one hour - can you send full address please?  Thanks

Great Civic Centre High Road Wood Green London N22 8LE (where the red marker is below).

I've messaged you about the meeting, Michelle.

There isn't any Article 4 yet so it's not limited to anywhere. I agree that the issue is likely to affect other areas in the borough too.

Any measure limited to just one street would be a nonsense. ;0) My current focus is on the neighbourhood of Harringay, not just our high street, Green Lanes.

It's great that there will be a meeting with Cllr Nilgun Canver and HoL members interested in the issue of Homes in Multiple Occupation (HMOs). And that this will include Mr Marc Dorfman, Assistant Director responsible for Planning and Regeneration. Although it often seems that the two functions are increasingly at odds, in this instance they are not. Failure to use the planning framework effectively will clearly lead to degeneration.

I think it would be enormously helpful if - before the meeting - the papers from the Council's HMO Working Group can be put in the public domain. I suggested this before and have also been arguing for a general widening of the documents which are publicly available. With this in mind, I wrote to Nilgun and have followed up earlier today by sending the email below to the Environment Directorate:

I've been reading the discussion thread on Harringay Online about Homes in Multiple Occupation and Haringey's policy on an Article 4 Direction.

An HMO Working Group has been meeting to consider this issue for several months. Can I please request that the minutes and background papers written for this Working Group are made available in the public domain. With the exception of course, of any specific parts relating to commercial confidentiality or the personal data of individuals.

From talking to fellow councillors, it's clear that this Group is doing valuable work on the HMO issue - as are officers writing reports for the Group. So it seems to me there is every reason to make as much of this material public, as is possible. Principally this is to inform public debate. But it's also to squash speculation that officers - or anyone else - have a 'hidden agenda', when that is clearly not the case.

As I've posted on Harringay Online, the HMO issue raises very serious concerns. Tackling it will certainly not be a task confined to the Ladder or the Gardens - which so far, seem to have been the Group's focus.

Potentially any home in the borough could be affected if neighbouring owners or landlords decide to convert their properties.

(Alan Stanton Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

Over the weekend I wrote again to Cllr Nilgun Canver reminding her about putting the HMO Working Group papers into the public domain. Plainly, it makes a lot more sense to hold a meeting when everyone has at least had the opportunity to read the relevant reports. Although just as plainly, the time is too short for this to happen before the meeting tomorrow evening.

I'm sure this is just a small hiccup, and it will happen in the very near future.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service