Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

In a long reply on another post on HMOs last week, I concluded with the following paragraphs:

Summary

In essence this is where we are at today:

1. The Council has recognised that there will be a substantial increase in demand for HMOs.
  2. New legislation frees up the supply of housing available for use as HMOs.
  3. The Council has chosen not to use available powers to limit that supply because they say it is too expensive.
  4. Instead they have opted for an approach which depends on managing the quality of HMOs and relies solely on enforcement.

So what’s the likely result? Well You tell me, but what I see is that unless the Council decide to use Article 4, with the liberalised controls, the increased demand for HMOs will be met with an increased supply; the Council's enforcement team will do their best to police HMO quality, but if Council performance on the control of illegal conversions is anything to go by the impact will be limited.

What's the Solution?

I'd like to hear that I'm wrong in drawing the conclusions that I do, but it seems to me that we desperately need Article 4. Other Councils seem to agree. They're applying for it.  Haringey say it’s too expensive. What exactly is the cost? I’d like to see the Council’s report on that.

I’ve been told that much of the cost is in the need to apply for the powers. However, in a previous post I quoted the Royal Planning Institute:

“Most importantly the Minister is also advising that councils with policies already limiting HMO development in parts of their locality, can bring in Article 4 Directions straightaway, without notice, to coincide with the national policy change.”

The problem we had with the spread of gambling establishments was principally an issue with national legislation that the Council had little influence on. With this issue, the Council has the power to control the unmanaged spread of HMOs. If five years down the line, the borough is witnessing multiple problems as a result of an explosion of HMOs we will be justified in pointing the finger at the Council as being responsible and justified in holding them accountable for failing to use the powers that are available.

I'm posting here just to check if folk think we should consider applying pressure for Article 4 or just let the fates do their worst?

Tags for Forum Posts: HMOs Article 4, hmos, new hmo controls, 2011

Views: 1794

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's good news, Anna. I wonder if we could turn 'keen', which is nice but achieves little,  into unequivocal support for an application for Article 4? As far as I can tell Article 4 is about the only thing that'll make any difference.

As I said in my comment just now (currently just below here), can we get unequivocal support for Article 4 from any of our elected representatives - or failing that a convincing argument for an alternative course of action, backed up with facts that suggest it will work.

I've just reported another hmo related fly-tip ( at least I'm assuming by its mattresscentricity that it' s hmo-related). That must be my 5th or so this week and still no word from 'cabinet member' and local councillor Nilgun Canver about the HMO/Article 4 situation.

I'm wondering if the thing to do is to ask Cllr Canver to meet with local residents who are interested. perhaps explain where the Council are with this issue and explore whether there might not be a way froward. Anyone up for that?

In fact, on top of this,  I think we deserve an unequivocal view from all (even any) of our local councillors giving a clear statement of their position on this issue.

Im sure Alan Stanton will be up for that. Our local Hampden Lane residents will be too.
I think we should push for a face to face meeting with Nilgun Canver.

Hugh

We need to fight this crazy decision. The enforcement team do little already to enforce problem HMO's. Im sure David Lammy must have something to say about the councils reluctance to take up Article 4? Has he been asked?

I haven't asked him. Perhaps he would like to make a formal statement if one of his constituents were to write to him?

I'd like to start by checking that my assumptions are correct - but someone has to answer that (and show us that what they say is backed up by some hard facts).

I'm working at the moment Hugh or I would approach David. Im sure Alan will do something.
We really do need to put pressure on the council to take up Article 4.  There is no justification in this area for not doing so.  I would be happy to attend a meeting with the Councillor and to start putting pressure on our council.  It's a very high priority.
More thoughts here.

If five years down the line, the borough is witnessing multiple problems as a result of an explosion of HMOs we will be justified in pointing the finger at the Council as being responsible and justified in holding them accountable for failing to use the powers that are available.

It's already happening, and we need to do everything on our power to stop it. Or this area will turn in to a slum, and most of us will have to move. We can't let that happen. They can't win. By "them" I mean the slum landlords that fill the neighbouring houses to the rafters with god knows what - in my experience. The council's enforcement process is long-winded and very very time consuming for anyone who complains. Surely spending money initially and making the process easier will save money in the long run?

It would be interesting to see a financial projection outlining current costs, investment needed to impement Article 4 and what potential savings would be after implementation.

Anyway, count me in, I am surrounded by HMO's and I'VE HAD ENOUGH!

Count me in too.  Unscrupulous landlords are going to have a field day in these times of rising unemployment and government changes pushing inner city people on benefits to the outer boroughs.  Something has to be done but my experiences with the council is that they have no care or bite.

I'd be happy to support any campaign or process which gets the council to move its backside on this matter.

I can see from my window several houses in close proximity which have recently been purchased and 're-modelled' to  have 2-3 kitchen/bedroom set ups within the ex-single home which is very worrying on H&S grounds. There is also a garage nearby which was converted some time ago into a 'home '  - with no windows- where a family patently live. Has the council done anything ...? You know the answer.

If you can provide the names of the people/depts to write to and broad outline of essential points to make re. Article 4 & any of above I'd be pleased to assist.  GK

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service