Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Great progress so far - 182 (see my latest post for updated figures) signatures and ticking up by the hour.

Now, the question is, should we be doing more?

Paul Jenkins, chair of the Wightman Road N4 Residents' Association - to whom we all owe a vote of thanks for spotting the clause in the plan and writing the petition together with Ian Sygrave of the LCSP - suggested yesterday that we might produce a flyer to draw the attention of people who aren't on the site and get their support.

I produced one which is attached via the link beneath the red writing top centre column main page. I wonder if we oughtn't to agree here to get one or two people to volunteer to leaflet their own street . For people without internet access, the leaflet could also act as a written petition to be signed a perhaps posted back through the street leafleter's door. (This might also be good advertising for the site)

If each street has about, what 150 dwellings, that means each street would need a person/persons to print 150 leaflets and distribute them. Even better if we have someone office based with access to a copier who could offer to do a bigger copy run.

We're unlikley to get every street done. I'm happy to volunteer for Hewitt if we can get at least 5 other streets covered.

Am I bonkers? Will you contribute?

Link to paper based petition & flyer

Tags for Forum Posts: Wightman Road, traffic, wood green spd

Views: 404

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hugh, sorry ddin't get chance to print off flyers at work yesterday. If anyone has any spare and has time to come down to Harringay South Roads, Alroy, Lothair, etc. I am happy to help.
Colin,
Paul (WightmanPaul) has spare copies of the flyer. He's quite close to you on Wightman Road, but you will need to collect and take it from there as far as the Harringay South roads are concerned. Paul and the rest of us are rather busy with Wightman, Mattison etc.
Eddie
LATEST UPDATE

Roads Covered by leafleting:-

1. Hewitt Road - done
2. Wightman Road - the whole road seems to have been done now - by Eddie Finnegan & Wightman Paul, ruthe & an emailer.
3. Pemberton - offer to do received by email
4. Duckett - offer received by email (printer problem now resolved).
5. Warham - being done - offer by email
6. Seymour - done by empyrean aisles
7. Salisbury - done by Margaret Fowler
8. Alroy, the Lothairs, Tancred & Venetia - Colin Bannon
9. Lausanne - Sophie Hautefeuille
10. Beresford - offer by email
11. Allison - offer from Hewitt resident by email
12. Effingham - Bushy to do
13. Cavendish - offer by email (but more help may be needed)
14. Burgoyne - offer by email
15. Umfreville - offer by email
16 Sydney - an offer by email, but the person's not well. Can anyone else help?
17. Frobisher - done by Cat from Hewitt
18. St Ann's (Harringay End) - to be done by Margaret Fowler
19. Mattison - done by Paul & Nicola Jenkins
20. Offer to do one more road by a Hewittite
21. Falkland - being done by Cat from Hewitt

So let's see, of the Ladder roads that leaves:

Endymion (unless Colin's including that - sounds like a lot)
Fairfax
Sydney? (See Above)
Raleigh

One of these should be covered by the Hewittites which leaves 2 or 3 Ladder Roads to go and all of those East of Green Lanes except St Ann's & Salisbury Roads (good to have those covered because they would probably see a particularly high impact). I think that's pretty good going.

Petition total now at 310 online + 34 written = 344.
Margaret, what's this about the natives not being friendly in your corner of the Hanging Gardens of Harringay? Just talk quietly and carry a big stick like I do on my stretch of Wightman Road's White Man's Grave. They may not all like being disturbed on a Saturday morning. They may eventually appear, unshaven and in extreme states of undress - but OMG! they'll sign anything just to get you off their doorstep.

I'm joking. After another couple of hours' meeting with neighbours and sharing their views of the present hell of W.R. traffic, not to mention adding to it, I come away with a further 22 signatures (3 on flyers which I collect, 19 on my doorstepping list).
No, not quite the 50 I had hoped for by now - just 48. Multiplied up over 25 roads, a round 1200 in return for a little wear-and-tear on shoe leather and knee or hip cartilage.

We still have thirty hours or so.
At 353 we've just nosed past half the total 700 membership. Come on the other half. Still a few hours to register your protest on this site.
Just to say congratulations to everyone on this - over 500 signatures now (and 150 today, a lot of which must surely be the result of your leafleting).
Seond that emotion, Alison. Brilliant job guys. I think we should be pleased with a succesful collaboration. 500+ residents, three local residents groups (the Gardens groups signed the petition and voiced their support on line today), and one collaborative social network all working together. We only had one week. Imagine what we might do if/when we have a little more time and get ourselves really organised.

I think it's time for us to make our views count and demand that we're listened to. I do believe that all working together we really can make a difference.
I agree that it's impressive what kind of work you can achieve in the real world with these social networking sites.

And let's give three virtual cheers to Hugh for co-ordinating much of the leafleting and photocopying in terms of who would do what. Hip hip ...!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service