Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Great progress so far - 182 (see my latest post for updated figures) signatures and ticking up by the hour.

Now, the question is, should we be doing more?

Paul Jenkins, chair of the Wightman Road N4 Residents' Association - to whom we all owe a vote of thanks for spotting the clause in the plan and writing the petition together with Ian Sygrave of the LCSP - suggested yesterday that we might produce a flyer to draw the attention of people who aren't on the site and get their support.

I produced one which is attached via the link beneath the red writing top centre column main page. I wonder if we oughtn't to agree here to get one or two people to volunteer to leaflet their own street . For people without internet access, the leaflet could also act as a written petition to be signed a perhaps posted back through the street leafleter's door. (This might also be good advertising for the site)

If each street has about, what 150 dwellings, that means each street would need a person/persons to print 150 leaflets and distribute them. Even better if we have someone office based with access to a copier who could offer to do a bigger copy run.

We're unlikley to get every street done. I'm happy to volunteer for Hewitt if we can get at least 5 other streets covered.

Am I bonkers? Will you contribute?

Link to paper based petition & flyer

Tags for Forum Posts: Wightman Road, traffic, wood green spd

Views: 404

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great Thanks Bushy.

ANSWERS

a. If you can plan on returning them to me by Monday, that would be great.

b. Drop them through my door any time. I'll message you my house number.

c. That's fine. It's useful to have at least the road on there. As for the on-line, I could have added the address, but the spiel on the site advised that the less info you ask for, the more people will sign. 90% of the people who've signed up on-line are site members and if necessary for most I can add the roads by reference to name or email address. The petition site also offers an email verifcation service if needs be. I very much doubt it'll be an issue. I don't think the Council ever actually verify. Whe surveys are verified, usually just a sampling is verified. USing either names or the petition site's verification service, this will be easy to do. But next time round, for everyone's peace of mind, I might just add a space for the road address.
Thanks Hugh. Sorry, just so I'm clear, is the deadline for the online one still midnight 22nd June? I just wanted to bold this up on the flyer.
Yes, I think we stick to that deadline.
Hugh and all

I'm sorry I'm not going to have time to do St. Ann's Rd now. I needed a response by last night as to where the flyers need to be posted back to as I'm going away at the weekend. I'm sorry I've mucked you all about.

Rogan
No problem. It may be that Margaret can do it anyway. Have a great weekend.
Hi all - due to a copying error I now have an extra 150 fliers. If someone would like to do a road and doesn't have access to a copier then send me a message and I'll let you know where you can pick them up from. (if you aren't one of my contacts already then send a 'friend request' which I will accept & then you can send me a private message).

EA
Seymour is done, and I now have a taker for the 150 extra leaflets. Thanks Cat.
I would if I had the time, I'm busy now until sunday. I did part of Whiteman road earlier, 100 fliers, only to find out its already been done!!! Bit of a mix up. On the plus side, I met quite a few people face to face and told them about the petition and this website.
Ruthe, it's WIGHTman - as in Isle of ...
Pemberton done. Where/when shall we deliver?
Go do the math(s), as the man said.

HOL stats for May show daily average of 102 Unique Visitors, up 20% from April's 84 ave.
But the average of May's five Fridays is 160 Uniques, maybe up 20% also on the month.

Today again TGIF - let's say an average one but at least 20% up on May: maybe 190 UVs?

Over the past four days we've had a total of (?) 255 Traffic Rerouting NO votes.
Today (Super Friday and all that) we've got what: 20 - 25 perhaps.

Law of diminishing returns or what?
But how many members have we? About 2.5 times the number of votes cast.

This evening (6.00-7.30pm) I visited 48 houses on one side of Wightman between Duckett and Hewitt junctions. I found at least one person home in each of 22 houses. Result: two polite refusals plus 26 signatures and a lot of enthusiasm. Of these, 5 were on returned flyers and 21 on my doorstepping list. Most are not online but at least six said they would give HOL a try.

These 48 houses equate to half a short Ladder street. Hopefully I can get 24 signatures tomorrow by doorstepping the other side of the road. Total: 50.

Replicated in 25 Ladder & Garden roads over three hours: = 50 x 25 = 1250 signatures plus the 320 online clicks we are likely to have by Sunday night = 1550.

Petitions need doorstepping - in the friendliest possible manner, of course.
Quod Erat Demonstrandum, as the man also said.
I do agree that doorstepping is the only effective way of getting results but I have done it too often in my area on NHS issues and stopping betting shops and do not intend to do it again. It's not a very friendly permanent residential area around here.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service