Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Tough Mudder event, which is  taking place in Finsbury Park this weekend, consists of  running routes and assault course challenges spread over many areas of the park. From the pictures, the aim seems to be to get as mud-covered as possible. Tickets cost £100.

While it's great that people use the parks for exercise and relaxation, a large number of people running together on already soggy ground is going to cause serious damage to the grass and woodland of the park, just as it's coming into it's most beautiful season. The muddy fallout from a similar event on Hampstead Heath last year took many months to recover, and our park is significantly smaller.

It breaks my heart how little the council prizes our natural green spaces and is willing to sacrifice them in this way in order to make money, even under the aegis of 'health and wellbeing.'

Tags for Forum Posts: finsbury park , mudder", tough

Views: 6302

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exactly, they'd be an extremely useful information reference 

Appalling!! Total disregard for communal assets. 

I walked through Finsbury Park yesterday whilst this was going on and was appalled at the destruction of the park. it’s also spread right across the park, not just in a confined section. 

I ran the Yorkshire Three Peaks yesterday, slipped in the mud once and then managed to go knee deep in a sinkhole. And it didn't cost me £100 (though I do plan to make a donation towards upkeep of the trail). I don't know why people pay to do an event like Tough Mudder when they could have a real experience just by getting into the outdoors. 

Potentially with the number of HoL members who use the park it should be possible to have a very quick "audit" of the damage - or lack of damage - if people pooled their photos. Including those they've already taken and new photos of the damage done.
* This could also help assess how quickly the park repairs itself.
* Doing it as fairly as possible showing the good as well as the bad.
* This would be most useful if photos are sent with details of date and time.
* Also with information on direction photos ate taken and as far as possible the location within the park.
* FixMyStreet website advised taking two or more photos; a close-up and a a longer shot which helps establish the location.

* If it was possible to see them on a map like that used by FixMyStreet an overall assessment might be possible.

https://www.fixmystreet.com/

I've added a photo to Fix my street, there's a parks and landscapes category!

An aerial/drone view of the park today would be useful to assess the extent of the damage - apparently this course was longer and covered more of the park than last year - and the ground was already fairly sodden from the wet winter.

Happy to oblige if someone near the park is happy for me to let me use their property to take off and land.

Good idea.  I will take a walk early tomorrow morning to record the damage done as a result the event.  Not to sure if FixMyStreet will have the resolution needed to record photos within a relatively small area,  still the important thing is to get the photographic evidence in the first place.

I'm off now to charge my camera battey

Konrad, one key to useful photographic evidence is your description of the location which accompanies each of your own photos.And to bear in mind the FixMyStreet advice to consider a pair of linked shots - one with a longer view which helps place the close-up in relation to nearby  features e.g. poles, paths, buildings, Any lighting columns with number & letter tags.

Could you use what3words locations?

It's great you remind people that tool is available. Logically rereading about the App, it ought to be something that does exactly what's needed.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49319760

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service