Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Tags for Forum Posts: london troubles

Views: 3448

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Like you said: Diametrically opposed views, so really can't be bothered to labour the point either. For the record, I never suggested embroidery classes and violin lessons, that's just absurdly stupid to even suggest that.
BBC radio interviewed two 17 year old girls down in Croydon who had taken part in the looting the night before. They were sitting on a bench in Croydon drinking the wine they had stolen. They thought the whole thing was a 'laugh' and 'anyway, all them businesses are rich' and it's 'against the government, whoever that is'.
Yeah I heard that. It was cringe-inducing nonsense wasn't it!?

Michelle, thanks for reposting this. This is indeed worth a read, as you say, and several close readings. It is certainly the one and only sustained article I've seen that rings true of what we know to be the case and the causes of all that's being happening over the past five days.

But look at the five out of six instant predictable comments on Melissa's heartfelt piece in the original posting. All very familiar from some similarly predictable gobspouts here closer to home. 

Ian Willmore's reflective blog on HOL's main page and the prophetic piece Maddy reposted from a late July Guardian received one or two brief comments each. Is there something in the nature and/or format of social media, or in the chatroom pressure for instantaneous echo-response, that deters us from reflection or propels us to brief and vacuous agreement/disagreement? No wonder that some of us resort to covert pisstaking and keep any more engaged reflection for other fora.

Michelle, may I suggest that you repost Melissa's piece in a more visible position, perhaps alongside Ian's 'Bad Moon' blog on the main page. Indeed if Maddy were to repost that late July Guardian article alongside, they wouldn't all be wrapping this evening's virtual fish'n'chips before others have a chance for a second look.

That's one of the better things I've read. Fair and balanced. She doesn't excuse anything but sets it in context.
Duggan carried a firearm which is against the law in this country.  Whether he fired 1st or not is irrelevant.  Why should a police officer wait to be shot at?  They must be allowed to assume that if someone pulls a weapon they intend to use it.  I dont believe for a minute that this violence has anything to do with the treatment of the family.  These rioters has used it as an excuse and they don't seem to have any manners or common decency.  I cannot believe that people are making excuses for them.   I remember many very very boring summer holidays as a teenager with little or no money to spend or things to do, but that did not make me think I had the right to steal the latest phones, trainers, etc, and attempt manslaughter by setting fire to peoples homes.  Thankfully most young people are still very decent.
@dane66, you speak for me too.
Hear, Hear.

I do find this smugness unappetising!

Did you read the Guardian editorial that I linked Clive.. ?

Annette, just to remind you, he speaks for everyone here.. it's just that some (no names mentioned) get a little too over exicited (not the British way BTW) about what to do about it all...

@Dane66 then perhaps you had a decent upbringing - sadly many didn't and will now have to take the consequences for not having what you did.. .

I cannot believe that people are making excuses for them.

Dane66, like Steve and others I too agree with what you say both above and immediately below - but I do not believe that people on this site are making excuses for rioters' and looters' behaviour over the past three nights. Nor can I see that the social worker, Melissa, is making any excuses for it either. She's speaking from the heart, OK, but also with the head and out of a breadth of Tottenham experience that probably no HOL member has.  

Ugh. Hobbesian philosophy out in force again. Upbringing is *completely* relevant.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service