Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

"Tottenham is exemplar of public health inequality" - from The Times

This article from The Times, interviews local residents following the report last week which said that life expectancy in certain parts of Tottenham is 17 years less than in the most affluent parts of London (Kensington and Chelsea). Full story here

Tags for Forum Posts: Tottenham, health, health inequalties, life expectancy, public health

Views: 211

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder if this will be used to sell pot noodles...
Sorry John I didn't really get the joke??
I was trying to make a serious point about someone living on a very poor and unvaried diet due to the fact that they don't feel they can afford to waste money cooking for one person - his words not mine
Sorry in advance if I have got the wrong end of the stick reguarding your post but I don't find poverty that amusing
And from what you've read of what I have said on this post you think I do? Wow!

The link is to a planning application to erect two non-static advertising hoardings either side of the bus stop on Turnpike Parade. The council sell the rights to a company to do this. Not sure what they do with the money but I don't see the ones around here advertising anything other than junk food and bank accounts. I just wondered if your neighbour eats pot noddles for more complex reasons. In fact, I bet he does.
Ah I see - and agree about the junk food adverts perhaps some encouragment of advertising healthy food would be a better idea
with reguards the pot noodle eating - I obviously don't really want to question his eating habits too much but he has said on a few occasions that he just doesn't see the point of cooking for one and so just eats something easy - I actually work for an older Persons Charity hence my frequent references to older people in a lot of my posts! Not being able to afford to eat well is a huge problem for some older people living on a very basic state pension.
I am racking my brains trying to think of a complex reason for one to enjoy Pot Noodles - have asked around the office and none of us can think of any - although someone did quite like the fairly offensive adverts they had a while ago although said it would not have encouraged them to eat one - in terms of acceptable flavours the chicken and mushroom one came top and the kebab one was ranked very lowly!
http://www.tottenham-today.co.uk/tn/news.cfm?id=5751&headline=The sickening price of poverty
Haringey Advertiser's version of the story.. All comments welcome.
anyone know what the life expectancy is of a male in Muswell Hill - 3 miles away from Tottenham Green?
Its all very well highlightening issues that we all know about in a report what action is going to be taken? As I said yesterday the council seem to spend money in the more affluent parts of the borough and Tottenham gets very little. The High Street is an uninviting mess at the moment What Tottenham really needs is serious regeneration - there have been attempts at this but clearly not enough,
it is very deprived area of London with huge social issues - unemployment, gang crime, cheap housing turned into bedsits cramming as many people in as possible.
In order for anything positive to happen there has to be a change in culture - people need better education and understanding of the benefits of healthy living - there are plenty of facilities available through the council run gyms who offer very reasonable rates for those on low incomes but I guess that if you are surviving on benefits then paying to exercise is the last thing on your mind to be fair attending the gym would cost less than a weeks supply of fags!
people could be encouraged to walk and take free exercise, and as I said yesterday people could learn to cook healthily on a budget
the council also need to be far stricter on fast food shops opening - no high st needs that much, fried chicken, pizza or kebabs, currently I can't imagaine anyone else wanting to open up a shop in Tottenham but as with any regeneration project that would change over time
most importantly people have to want to make those changes themselves - or at least for their children.
The (current) ruling party for Tottenham have handed over responsibilty for redevelopment in South Tottenham - ie the Tottenham Green ward - to a distant commercial developer, Graingers. Their superimaginative plan is to demolish all the area around Seven Sisters station and build seven storey private gated flats, and then hope to let the newbuild high street shops to prestige retailers - Woolworths was one of the names they had touted. (Never mind their target would be identical to Tottenham Hale, half a mile away.) As that aint going to happen, enter Betfair and McD.

In other words, LB Haringey Labour Group want no contact with the people who live and work in Tottenham Green, they have dumped us on the mercy of a massive private landlord.

There is a local fightback. Those of us who live here are desperate for change too, but the last thing we need is the slash-and-burn version embraced by LBH.

The best bit is that as poor old Graingers have pointed out what a difficult job this is and how hard it will be for them to make a profit, they have been given a two million pound sweetener to get it started. From our pockets.
Hi Pamish
Yes I have read a fair bit about all of this - it just seems utterly stupid - it just makes me think the council have given up on Tottenham Green and are just leaving its fate to someone else so that they don't have to face the fallout when as you say Betfair Mcdonalds and KFC move it - erm Woolworths prestige retailer - really???
I do live in N17 but right at the Wood Green End but would get involved in local discussions - let me know what I can do the more of us the better!
@ Tamara, see the link I posted above for overall info on the Wards Corner campaign. We have been to the High Court twice to challenge the planning committee's decisions. We are now in the waiting phase for the next bit. Meanwhile the Alternative Plan goes on being developed. We meet most mondays, there is plenty to do. Contact me off-list if you want my number for a chat, or see the Contact link on the WCC website.

I was a little harsh above re the Labour Group - there are some people, notably Isidoris a TG councillor - who are very supportive. It's the old hardcore that are set on demolition.
cool will add you as a connection and we can chat!
The old Woolies in West Green Road is now the Fair Deal shop, which is undergoing a revamp - including stocking a range of fresh organic food. Improvement to health in N15 begins here?

Football is about 20 days a year. I want a change from having to go to Church Street for a decent meal.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service