Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

WE ARE told that National Vegetarian Week "is upon us" week commencing Monday 18th May. For those seeking refuge from this week that is "upon" us, finger-lickin' local alternatives include:

Kentucky Fried Chicken

Steakhouses

Burger King

McDonalds

Kebabs

Halal

Tags for Forum Posts: balance, diet, health, meat, nutrition, omnivore, varied, vegan

Views: 102

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Uhhh??? Why should 'mild vegetarians' examine their consciences (well, any more than 'mild meat eaters' should)?????
Clive, the pigeon hole king! To be blunt you sound like you come from a cult yourself with your intollerant stereotypes. I don't come from a middle class background and am a 37 year old tubster, been veggie for twenty years, ten of them a vegan. If it wasn't for pressure groups we wouldn't have improved farming conditions over the years. I worked for animal rights groups and your conclusion couldn't be further from the truth but if you want to live in macho world slating anyone who wants to eat more compassionately, that's up to you.

Does this include all the buddists, Hindus, janests of the world? You can get every food group you need on a veggie diet & when I'm back home I'll post it on here.

Apologies written on a phone
Aimed at the twitching, over-zealous carnivore.

I’m back from my 23 mile bike ride now; oh I must be an environmental terrorist as I recycle too!

The argument for vegetarianism is based on four factors, for a healthy you, for other people (ie sharing the foodstuffs of the world), the environmental impact it has and of course the life of non human animals. I am not going to harp on about deforestation, distribution of food globally or factory farming because it’s all out there if you’re bothered.

Hold on……..sorry, had to get some vitamin and energy tablets as I am so weak and couldn’t type! I am not against meat eaters as most of my friends and family chomp on a leg or two but there’s bugger all wrong with trying to get folk to look at the wider picture especially at the environmental impact the industry has. Just because we are the strongest, or most dominant animal species on this planet doesn’t mean we have to eat everything below us. We have the intellectual capacity to realise we can survive very healthily on a veg diet, we don’t have to prove our masculinity nowadays by eating meat and there’s certainly nothing inferior or weak about not choosing to eat other animals, humans included.

Vegetarians can be into animal rights but that doesn’t mean they have to be supportive of any such Animal Rights Militia as you seem to conclude, naughty Clive – very Daily Mail of you.

I would argue that my two kids are probably healthier that the vast majority of this countries youngsters and they are given a full scope of the right food groups and they are veggies.

You can get all the right food groups being veggie, admittedly it’s more challenging, and I have one of these charts, a snip here: http://www.thevegancook.co.uk/big-nutrition.html
I would also argue that most people in this country don’t get the balance right, that’s got bugger all to do with being veggie or not.

As Alison has kindly pointed out this is a publicity week to highlight and try to promote a vegetarian lifestyle, there’s nout dishonest about that as much as it’s hard for you to swallow.

Wiki admitingly, but the basics are there:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarian_nutrition

Just because Paul Macartney formed wings and playing drab music, you shouldn’t hold that against vegetarians.

Original blog, should you be bothered, now have a nettle tea and go and listen to some Wings : )
http://www.harringayonline.com/profiles/blogs/concerned-about-clima...

I reckon the vegans need to look in the mirror.

Not just to review their questionable claims.

They may not be able to see the molars at the back used for chewing nutritious lettuce leaves (and spinach and broccoli, of which we should all eat more).

If they haven't been in a fist fight (perhaps with a match-fit nutritionist) they may enjoy a full dental complement.

If they smile and look carefully at the front, they may be able to make out their incisors and their canines.

What are those ones for, I wonder?!

OMNIVORE

There's no doubt that we have being eating lesser species for thousands of years, there's also no doubt that there have been vegetarian enclaves for thousands too. Most (not all) of our nearest ancestors, primates are herbivores and have features 98% the same as us.

Human canine teeth are miniscule in comparison to carnivores, our teeth structure is more a kin to other herbivores (short) and we don’t have a long jaw, which is a characteristic of carnivores. Where are our sharp claws for trapping prey as proper carnivores have? Our stomach acids and intestines are similar to plant eaters and not carnivores. We also have problems with digesting meat and swallowing meat, which kills around two thousand people in the UK every year. Yer conna choke on a lentil!

Even Charles Darwin concluded that humans started out as herbivores and hunting started millions of years later.

I do not preach to anyone about becoming a veggie (not much anyway) as it’s my lifestyle and not others. I am tolerant of others, I have to be my dad and brother are in the meat trade : o
Birdy, I agree with you about human stomachs: basically they are designed to deal with large amounts of bulky vegetable matter. In general, we don't eat enough veggies - I mean vegetables.

But would you accept that our front teeth are sharper than needed solely for slicing through nut cutlets, for example?

Probably the biggest change in diet over the last 100 years, in the West, has been the 10-fold increase in sugar consumption per person per annum, particularly via processed foods. Our bodies haven't adapted to that big change in such a short space of time.

I don't have problems with digesting or swallowing meat, although I accept some might. I don't particularly recommend sausages: in most countries of the world, this form of meat often contains little better than, for want of a better word, rubbish.

I trust the admission about the red-meat-relies will not have you excommunicated by the vegan world.

What other animal suffers from heart disease the way the human does? Why is it we cook the meat, does any other carnivore? There's no black and white in this really and we do pick and chose our elements for our own side of the argument.

I use my incredibly small canines to eat vegetables and bread too. Your nails are hardly savage claws unless you're hunting a worm for your tea.

A balanced diet can be herbi or omnivore, the trouble is in the last sixty years or so humans have been over consuming (applicable to anything really) with dire consequences. There's enough to go around but the west selfishly grabs it all for themselves including foodstuffs grown in deprived nations to feed our cattle.

"I trust the admission about the red-meat-relies will not have you excommunicated by the vegan world." - it is the very reason I went veggie, I worked in the summer holidays as a kid at a meat factory. I also worked at Mcdonalds briefly when I was sixteen : ) I am really isolated now.
There is an intolerant bunch like that and have been around for nearly thirty years, it's called Straight Edge. A bunch of punksters who adhere not only to a vegan diet but dislike smoking and drinking too. Said to be started by US hardcore band Minor Threat. This isn't mainstream by any means: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_edge
Tom I agree with most of what you say about intensive farming, whether it be meat or veg. The fact remains whether it is intensive or not that raising cattle uses ten times the amount of energy, land and resources that plants do, therefore a vegetarian will contribute less to the manufacturing of livestock and thus a lower carbon footprint - apart from the occasional botty parp!

There's a few figures here - they can't all be lies:
http://www.flex.com/~jai/articles/101.html
The "botty parp " is actually mainly methane and in cattle it comes out the other end as a burp, not a Parp :-)
I don't think there is a like for like plant v meat comparison, but yes you are right a true scientific comparison would be interesting. The only common sense part of this is that plants don't need feeding (to the extent) as a living animal does.
I've got 51 other weeks this year to eat Ermintrude, Foghorn Leghorn, Sean, Bambi and Thumper, not to mention Miss Piggy and Nemo, so I'm really not worried :-)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service