Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Yet another car was broken into last night at the top of Cavendish Road. The parking bays in the shadow of the church seem to be worst hit. I raised this as a concern with the Safer Neighbourhoods Team and with the Council. My view is that this area is attractive to criminals - it was there that the machine gun ambush occured recently - because it is not overlooked. To stop the mini-crime wave, the simple solution would be for the Council to agree to install a CCTV system and for the Church to permit the installation on the side of the building.

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How many CCTV cameras will be enough for folk ?
I'm inclined to agree, but faced with a shooting, repeated vehicles broken into and fly tipping I'm hard pressed to think of other options. We've started a Neighbourhood Watch, I think we're doing our bit. We have, after all, paid our contribution to the wonderful new CCTV control room recently portrayed in Haringey People, time we had some of the benefits. Other suggestions more than welcome.
I don't think it's fair to group shootings in with petty crime to somehow legitamise the argument for more CCTV. Cars have always been broken into and there will always be flytipping. I notice haringey has been using anti-terrorism legislation to police petty crime. I'll say it again. Due to a dripfeed of fear by media we are being led by the nose into a total surveilence state.

this post does not detract from the problems of local crime.
Sadly it does. I'm afraid I can't agree with your premise that a certain level of crime is acceptable and that individuals should be prepared to accept lawlessness - of whatever type. I suspect those individuals who have to bear the cost of replacing damaged property would agree. The real issue is what to do to prevent crime and protect people in the local community. As I said, if anyone has sensible alternative suggestions please offer them.
How well lit is that stretch Paul? Would better street lighting make a difference?
At the last Safer Neighbourhoods Ward Panel, the Council committed to sending a technical officer well versed in lighting to inspect the area. Poor lighting and the absence of being overlooked contribute to the problem, in my opinion.
Better lighting is bound to help. Anything but more bloody cameras.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service