Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I have looked with great interest at the old photos of Harringay Racetrack.

Has anyone got any photos they can post of The Hook Kennels, Northaw, which was the kennels which serviced Harringay Racetrack?  My mum used to work there as a kennel maid May, 1949 to Christmas 1950 and still thinks foundly of it.  Now in her 80's, I would love to see some photos of how the kennels used to be and also how they looked before they closed.  Many thanks.

Christine

Note from Site admin:

- Use the tag below to find other conversations about Hook Kennels

- Pictures for Hook Kennels are also here.

Tags for Forum Posts: hook kennels

Views: 10518

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Tom, I think 1964/67 was the time I spent at kennels. When I started, there was'nt

any accommodation going spare so I lodge with Wilf for about three months. I first

worked with Nobby Clarke, then worked with Wilf France, Ivor Morse, Joe Pickering, and

Jimmy Singleton. It would be great to speak to you Tom. Regards John.

Hi John that's great, Don't know if I can post my email here but I'll try: mot424242@yahoo.com I remember Wilf and Jimmy, don't remember the others we mostly went to Haringey,  Do you remember a dog called Scintillas Hero, don't know if the spelling is right. But if you do it means you were there same time as me :)

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards Tom.

Hi John Do you remember any of the Admin Staff that worked in the Office? The ones that did all the paperwork and pay packets?

Hi CarolineI have spoken to my Mum.  When were you living at the kennels?  She doesn't remember any of the names you mention (could be because kennel maids tended to just know their own trainer and ones nearby only - she didn't get to know any other families).  She was there 1949/50 - her trainer was Ivor Morse for Harringay, also Mr. Cooper and Mr. Ashley.  She also remembers Mr. France (Stanford Bridge) and Mr. Whitney (White City).  My Mum's name was Patricia Whitley - she was the youngest kennel maid at the time.  I believe they had to be 18 to go to the track but she was a few months off 18 so they had to get special permission. She always wore a uniform with tie.Christine

Hi Christine, my dad (Joe Pickering) was Head Lad to Lou Hiscock, and I was born in 1947 and lived in the flat above the kennels by the security hut, where Charlie Vowles was one of the security watchmen. who used to sing to the dogs when they made to much noise.  My mum worked in the big house as a cleaner.   I had a brother called Joe jnr, and my mum was Phil, their was also an Iris who married Dick Clark, who was also a kennel hand. Other names coming to mind Mickey Rohane, Mr Bateman the Vet, Les Parry, there was also two sisters one of whose name was Joy cant remember their surname.  But it is so long ago. 

Just thought Christine if you are on facebook there is a site called Northaw and also one for Potters Bar, with many photos of the village and some of the kennels that have been put on by myself.

Hi Caroline

Thanks for this information.  Yes I am on Facebook so will have a look.  Many thanks again.

Christine

Hi Caroline

Have you got links to those two sites on Facebook?  I have found them but can't see any photos anywhere.  I am seeing my Mum on sunday so will ask about the names you mention to see if she remembers any of them

Christine

Have you tried scrolling down through the messages, otherwise go to the add me section and they will add you.

I think Caroline means this group www.facebook.com/groups/115471131801199

Many thanks, Hugh.  I have just been on and put in a membership request.

Christine

Pictures have been added here, in case you guys haven't seen them. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service