Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I have looked with great interest at the old photos of Harringay Racetrack.

Has anyone got any photos they can post of The Hook Kennels, Northaw, which was the kennels which serviced Harringay Racetrack?  My mum used to work there as a kennel maid May, 1949 to Christmas 1950 and still thinks foundly of it.  Now in her 80's, I would love to see some photos of how the kennels used to be and also how they looked before they closed.  Many thanks.

Christine

Note from Site admin:

- Use the tag below to find other conversations about Hook Kennels

- Pictures for Hook Kennels are also here.

Tags for Forum Posts: hook kennels

Views: 10509

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Christine. Not sure when the pictures were taken. Ivor thinks between 1940 and 1955 but its guess work. His dad worked at the stables for about 40 years and that included the war as well. He worked for the trainer Lightfoot. Ivor was 15 at the time your mum worked there and was not allowed down at the stables even though he lived in the grounds. I don't think it interested him anyway.

Ivor has some more photos but not sure where they are. Will look for them

Colin

Hello Colin

Just found this site, I don't know whether you are aware but Trainer Lightfoot, was also the father of two famous Jazz musician called Paddy and Terry.  I spent many many happy years at the kennels were my dear old dad had worked from 1932 until he retired in 1984, and I knew also Ivor and his sister, and we also couldn't go near the stables

Spoke to Ivor. He remembers all the people you mention. Will contact his sister, Margaret, who he thinks still has some of the old children's Christmas party photos. Who was your father and which trainer did he work for . Speak to you again soon

My dad was Joe Pickering, he started with the GRA in 1932 coming down from Greenfield Track in Bradford, he worked for Les Parry and Lou Hiscock, for lou as Head Lad, then became a trainer in his own right in 1952 at New Cross returning to the Hook in 1955. Did you work at the kennels,

Hi Caroline 

I was born in Hook Cottages in 1935. My father had come down from Manchester during the depression when he was unable to secure any work locally, his name was Ernie Meadowcroft and he worked at the kennels as a carpenter. I am replying to your post as I recently found a photograph of my brother Fred who was 3 years old at the time playing with a little girl called Sylvia Hiscock and you mentioned Lou Hiscock who was a trainer at the Kennels. My family moved away to Manchester in 1938. Your father must have known my father who sadly passed away in 1940. I am now 81 years old.

Best wishes Eric Meadowcroft 

Hi Christine. I'm a bit late in replying to this but I worked for Trainer Puzey who trained for Harringay up until the kennels closed. I have some old photos of events that where held at various dog tracks including Harringay  given to me by a the kennel manager at the time it closed when he was clearing the hostel and offices at the time of handover to the developer! I have a video (DVD) I shot there in 1984/5 when some of the kennels where starting to be closed with the loss of White City. Please get back to me if you want a copy of this.  

Hi Adrian, Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.  I haven't had a chance to check my email for a while.  Yes please I would love a copy of the DVD.  What details/payment do you need from me?

Christine

Hi Adrian I know its been some time since you posted this on here but could I ask if I too could have a copy of your DVD. I work at the kennels in the early 80s leaving about a year before its closure and would love to see it and have some memories. Thank you.

Hi Adrian, My name is Tom Allen and I would love to see the video if you still have it??? Regards Tom.

Hi Tom, Just looking through these postings and think I didn't reply to you. I think you are Tom Allen? and are a member of the Northaw Remembered Group? so hope you have seen the videos I have posted so far? A couple more to come.

Just came across the following aeriel view that may interest your mother:

Hi Hugh

Many thanks.  I will print off and show my Mum.  Thanks for thinking of me.

Christine

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service