Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

The Dave Clark Five perform in Tottenham, 1964 - British Pathé video

in the guardian

I can't place the location but I think it must be the Palace Theatre, on the High Rd: which is now a church

or possibly the cinema that was at Wards Corner, when did that get pulled down to make room for Apex House?

My only non-local story about them is that they were barred from the Southampton Gaumont as the whole audience stamping - bam, bam Glad All Over, threatened the security of the dress circle. This story may be too good to check.

Tags for Forum Posts: dave clark five

Views: 1330

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dave Clark always hung out at the Greyhound pub on  Philip Lane. My uncle ran a greengrocers there and his family were always about there.

Of course, this is Tottenham Palace with it's wonderful wooden doors with brass handles.

The corner picture house at Ward's Corner here: http://www.harringayonline.com/photo/seven-sisters-corner?context=user

There were still quite a few cinemas located on or near the High Road in the early 1960s - most had gone by the middle of the 1970s

The Florida, just north of Lansdowne Road,

The Bruce, on Bruce Grove

The Palace, see above

The Corner, Ward's Corner

The Mayfair, High Road opposite St Ann's Road

The Regent, at Stamford Hill

From what I can make out it is, or was, opposite the police station. Next door was the Tottenham Royal. I'm sure I saw them play there before they were really famous.

The Palace is opposite the (still there as of this week) police station.  What was the Royal?

A ballroom. It had a sort of curved frontage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mecca_Dance_Hall_Tottenham

As you can see it changed it's name a few times.

Before my time. Here's whats there now. Not one of the architecting profession's greatest moments.

Definitely ugly.

Ah the Royal, very grand inside. I remember that girls/women in trousers weren't allowed but I was OK. I always carried a long skirt, (thin material) in my handbag in case we decided to go there and could slip it on over my jeans.

Now that's nostalgic!  My favourite dance hall.  I remember it so well from 1955/56.  It had a massive great dance floor with a revolving stage at one end.  As one band, probably a big band sound, was finishing the stage would revolve and another band, probably latin would come around playing and take over from the first band.  In front of the stage I listened to many a drum solo.  Those were the days!!

Great documentary about Dave Clark Five on BBC2 now, lots of old footage from 50s 60s Tottenham

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service