Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello to Haringay community members.... I hope everyone had a good week? 

I am looking to interact with some comrades of the community in the hope of embarking on a social project, which will bring more fantastic work to the area. I have lived in Turnpike Lane for four years and after what was a short burst of pieces by the station but it would be great to expand this. I have for the past few years been interacting with artists helping to organise wall space in East London, while I worked for an art gallery. I would love to try and organise some spaces here in Haringay and feel this would be a good start in reaching out to the community.

I have watched street art spread from East London and find large new areas in places like Penge, Camden and Dulwich. In these projects the communities have been heavily involved with helping to supply wall spaces or by supplying unwanted house paint.  If anyone knows of any walls that are in need of some TLC or if anyone would like to help out then please let me know. I regularly am asked by great artists for spaces and it would be great if I could organise some paintings in the area I live.

Thanks,

Ryan 

Views: 2935

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

haha no John it was not me :)

This is Melbournes policy:

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/arts-and-culture/art-outdoors/pages...

They link to a What's On page as well, advertising street art tours:

https://whatson.melbourne.vic.gov.au/Placestogo/PublicArt/Pages/Str...

Activation of the laneways (Promoted by Jan Gehl), with for example public art (including street art) clearly has consequences for driving tourism and interest to those spots within the CBD. This is combined with small cafe and bar kiosks, and places for public performance. In the context of this example I would support ways to activate a grotty back court space with high quality street art. 

So yes if it was my house I would be happy to have a high quality piece. If it was general tagging I would object. The access to Chestnuts from Cornwall Rd would benefit from a friendly gateway piece of public street art. 

The only word I can think of is " garish ". I'm sure it's very clever and very artistic, but I wouldn't like that in my face round here. And " it attracts tourists "

Really. Is that what we want ?

Bet you wouldn't say no to a banksy though

Why go for Banksy when we have our very own local art-hero and public anti-intellectual. None other than 'Bagsy', with his pop-up pieces all over the place?
Even if he's in his nineties and can't do the hanging-off bridges stuff, he still has the capacity to surprise and delight.

Banksy is witty and amusing. He works mainly in black and white and is not what I would describe as garish and in your face.

How about having to walk past this unwitty sexism daubed large on a wall in North Tottenham?

Or what about this piece of street art in St Margaret's Avenue. High quality or glorifying guns?
And who should decide?  Do the nearby residents get a say? Or are they expected to quietly admire what's painted?

Alan is that some of your conceptual mattress art? 

Not mine, Robert. A living piece by Bouncy.  Though you don't wanna know what was alive.

It was exhibited as part of this season's Art in the Open Festival. Next to it was part of Boxy's  wonderful and trail-blazing Série d'intervention.  (Google translating the art gibberish into Franglais.)

It is not for me to say what you want. I was simply presenting Ryan with something I had seen that had been encouraged by a city. This attracts tourists in that city. That city council advertises the tours. 

I was introduced to the work of Jan Gehl and his team by a member of HOL.  I can't afford more than a couple of his books but I've paid attention to his various online talks.

Where exactly does Jan Gehl promote street art? Or what seems to be argued for here, the domination of street art "in your face" to pick up John D's comment. 

Interested to learn a bit more, Robert, I found this about Gehl in Melbourne.
http://assemblepapers.com.au/2013/06/13/cities-for-people-jan-gehl/

Many of his - I agree very sound and creative ideas - are about "life between buildings".  But not quite the advocacy of street art you seem to suggest. Interesting too that he claims to be a sort of "grandson" of Jane Jacobs. Everybody now claims Jane as their inspiration. But maybe his claim holds up more than most.

A last point, does Jan Gehl actually use the terms "activate" and "activation" to describe what he does? If so I'd like to read (or watch and listen) to that. I'd appreciate a link or two if you have it, Robert.
The formulaic and mechanical way that our planners now seem use "active frontages" and similar phrases seems - to me at least - out if tune with the little I know about the far more 'organic' approaches of both Jacobs and Gehl.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service