Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Cllr Karen Alexander and I have recently done a check of all of the roads on the Harringay Ladder and the other parts of Harringay Ward in order to identify the roads and footways that are most in need of attention. We have been looking out, in particular, for lengthy sections where the tarmac surface is so bad that it needs replacement, rather than mere patching. We have also looked out for sections where there are paving slabs which have subsided and which need to be reseated in order to make them stable and to prevent people from tripping on them. We have been doing this because,  the Council’s cabinet will shortly be deciding which repairs or replacements should be given priority this year.
Below is a list of the sections of roadways and footways which seem to us to be the most in need of work, in the order of priority. If anyone feels, though, that we've got anything wrong (whether giving too much prominence to some repairs or failing to mention others) then please make a comment, by 10th June, either by a posting on this site or by email to David.Schmitz@haringey.gov.uk As I go for a run most mornings I'll be pleased to have another look straight away.

Once again, what we are dealing with are the worst sections, where mere patching won't do.

As regards patching, it is correct that the Council has recently been attending to a number of potholes, and obviously any such work is welcome. However, and rather surprisingly, their approach in deciding whether or not to repair has been to measure the depth of each pothole and to base their decision on whether or not the depth exceeds 30 mm.

This seems to be an odd approach because it can lead (and from what I can tell is leading) to potholes being filled which slightly exceed 30 mm while potholes a few feet away are being left, even though they are only slightly shallower. Because a major part of the expense lies in getting people and machinery to the site, rather than in providing the tarmac for filling an extra hole, this seems to be a false economy, as the shallow potholes will soon easily become deep enough. Moreover, some potholes are dangerous, even if they are less than 30mm deep. They can, for example, form a rut which could cause a bicycle to overturn. I will, of course, be questioning this practice with Council officers.

Here, now, is the list which Karen and I have prepared:

FOOTWAYS

Fairfax Road: Many paving slabs are subsiding and need to be reseated; the tarmac is in need of relaying throughout on both footways.

Lausanne Road: Tarmac requires complete relaying on both sides.

Sydney Road: Tarmac requires complete relaying on both sides.

Hampden Road: Tarmac requires complete relaying on both sides.

Pemberton Road: Tarmac requires relaying between no. 40 to Wightman Road on South footway.

Alfoxton Avenue: Many paving slabs are subsiding and need to be reseated.

Harringay Gardens: Many paving slabs are subsiding and need to be reseated.

Endymion Road:
Many paving slabs are broken and require repair or replacement.

Colina Road: Many paving slabs are subsiding and need to be reseated.

ROADWAYS

Seymour Road: The roadway requires relaying between Wightman Road and Harringay Passage.

Beresford Road: The roadway requires relaying between Wightman Road and Harringay Passage.

Raleigh Road: although 1/3rd of the roadway was completely re-laid, 2/3rds has not been and requires this.

Colina Mews (south of Park Road): The roadway requires relaying.

David Schmitz
Liberal Democrat Councillor for Harringay Ward

Views: 181

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Raise the cobbled entrance to the mews beside 130 Hewitt Rd,
creating a table top, level with the footpath, the mews might be
private but the entrance interrupts a public footpath, it's a nightmare
for those with prams, wheel chairs and the near sited to cross,
cars block the mews from services.
I doubt any of the residential conversions on the mews
have planning for change if use.