Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Walking up from Green Lanes, flashing lights and police on Pemberton Road. The police officer said it was a stabbing and they were looking for a knife.

He also had a very resigned look and said it was happening every day all over London but the powers that be don't seem to care.

Views: 6442

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have never lived anywhere like this! I will just walk down Wightman instead. I never have any problems walking down Crouch End Broadway or Tottenham Lane. Walking past the YMCA hostel there are sometimes small groups of men sitting outside but never had any leerinees or staring or comments.

When I'm with my partner who is quite tall and well built we are never ever bothered. So I feel okay going out to the Salisbury after dark or to Bruhaha or Bun & Bar! When I work from home during the day I'm happy to get a coffee and pop to Tesco etc but something seems to happen around rush hour when it gets really busy.

The Paasage is a no go for me alone as soon as it starts to get dark. Has several unsettling experiences. But it's that or Green Lanes!
We noticed the flashing lights then about 10 mins later got a knock from an officer asking if we had seen or heard anything. We were in our sitting room with the tv on very low and hadn't heard a thing. I asked her what had happened she said that someone had supposedly been stabbed outside our window, I said I was surprised as we normally hear everything that happens outside as we only have single glazing, she said that she didn't know whether to believe them or not.

Kat's post was not " alarmist "

It was alarming .

I don't think it does any of us any favours to minimise the news ( whether good or bad ) for example, by substituting " incident " for " stabbing ".

Any news on what actually happened, who's the victim and the motive behind the stabbing? Sorry, if this has been mentioned somewhere in the thread. I tried to skim through all of the replies to look for further info, but I might have missed it. I would be interested to know as I live in Pemberton road.

There's been nothing in the local press or online as far as I can see. I think the only way to find out more would be to attend the meeting at N Harringay School on Thursday and ask the Police yourself. Not sure how much information they are likely to impart though.
Antoinette ... meeting on Friday ... at NHP, 5:30pm - 7pm.
Sorry yes, you're quite right...thanks Matt

Antoinette, I understand your response should it be a question of just sticking a leaflet in someone's hand or through a letter box and walking away. I accept this would educate no one! Any distribution of leaflets would have to involve engaging with people and explaining that such behaviour is not acceptable, damaging to the community and plain wrong. The intention would be that we get through to enough people to ensure the message gets through.  It was only a suggestion in response to a 'call' from Hugh - my fear is we do nothing and the abuse continues! 

I appreciate your post sought to be a constructive response to one of the underlying reasons why Kat feels unsafe. I wish I had the answers but I just don't know.

This thread is strange, are people really saying incidents like this shouldn't be reported because it creates a negative image of the area? are you worried about house prices or something? 

I think the people who think crime levels in Harringay are average for London have lived here a long time and are numb to it. I moved here two years ago and have only ever lived in London moving from New Cross Gate - Peckham - Camden - Hoxton - Dalston then here. Its rough as f*ck here! I was shocked how rough it is. The only area I know this rough was around Loughborough Junction near Angel Town in the late 90's. The way this area is ignored by Lammy, Haringey Council and the Police is disgusting - hope something comes out of this meeting.

looking at your recent posts you seem very down on the area in general. the crime statistics just don't bear out what you say.

Me? No I like it here despite the lawlessness. There's nowhere like grand parade in London it's truly unique. I can't explain the crime stats other than under reporting due to locals accepting low level crime and anti social behaviour as normal.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service