Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Earlier this week Phil Spencer highlighted the issue of empty homes and a potential remedy with a C4 programme focussing on a property in Wordsworth Parade, opposite the Queen's Head. That led me to wonder what Haringey Council is doing about empty homes.

An internet search led me to information on a page about empty homes on the Haringey website which includes the following statement:  "Haringey Council has a policy of encouraging owners of empty homes to bring them back into use. The Council would prefer it if owners did this themselves and grants are sometimes available to help with renovation costs.".

The page also outlines the remedies available to the Council. But, I cannot find any records of how many homes the Council has brought back into use or what resources it devotes to this issue in these resource poor times. However, I did find elsewhere a statement to the effect that 62 empty homes in Haringey were brought back into use during 2009/10.

The most recent Haringey strategy I can find on t'internet on this says: "Haringey has over 2,400 empty properties Haringey has the 13th highest proportion in London. The Council's policy is to develop initiatives to encourage owners to bring long term vacant properties back into use."

Pages 23 & 24 of a borough housing profile give targets for 2008 - 2010 and a ward by ward breakdown of empty properties at in 2010.

Emptyhomes.com offers a national breakdown of empty properties for last year as well as loads of info and resources on the issue.

If you know of an empty home in the borough, you can report it by email to - empty.properties@haringey.gov.uk

Tags for Forum Posts: empty homes, housing

Views: 710

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John, if you send me the details, I can make a second councillor's enquiry about the house you mention. Though if it's many years in the past, the records may have been archived.

Please bear in mind that there are problems about giving out information on existing empty properties. One serious issue is that there's evidence of organised criminal gangs breaking into homes (private as well as publicly owned) while they are being done-up for reletting.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

This was years ago and I managed to get David Lammy's office to chase it but thank you very much for the offer.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service