Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Slaying the Tyranny of text - Video-based reporting for HoL

As Liz will tell you, I've been bending her ear for a long while now about us adding that extra something with some video reporting. So, finally this weekend I made a start. And the positive feedback moves me to pen this post.

Some local sites are based mainly around video reporting. But I'd like HoL to add it as just one channel and I'd like to make it inclusive. Ideally we'd have more than just a handful of folks willing to use their smart phone or whatever to capture a local story. It could be news or opinion - as long as it's clear which it is.

So we might need a few things to start us off:

1. More than just me to throw their hats in the ring.
2. An outline code of ethics for the news side of things to ensure we offer balance.
3. Perhaps a couple of cheap pocket camcorders for those folks who want to participate but don't have a smartphone or other DVC.

Then we can do some learning as well.

Whilst making video content may be fun, the purpose would be to extend the audience fro what we're doing. Many people will simply never access the material on the site whilst it remains only in written form. That's a fact. Presenting it in video will potentially extend the audience into new groups who tend to make a choice to access information through audio or visual channels. Text alone will simply never reach some people.

Views: 87

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dan & John have all that's needed including editing & Liz has a camcorder. Looks like we're OK Hugh?
The point for me is that we need to make it as easy as possible for people to capture and publis. So, whilst we might do some more professional pieces, I think the majority of what we do might well be shoot and upload stuff, in which case all we need is pocket cams that are designed as shoot and upload.
Anyone with a Mac should have it free via ilife and imovie.
Blurb says internal software for downloading only compatible with Windows
You could edit the footage with iMovie on a Mac; it's just the downloading software that's Windows only.
These cameras are great for what they are, and for the price, but they are very limited in what they can do - especially with audio. You only have the option of the built-in microphone, and in some situations that won't be any use. For example, in Hugh's otherwise lovely interview with Azul-Valerie Thome, the audio is almost drowned out by the wind. I wouldn't rely on these cameras to do an interview on a noisy street or in a crowded room, for example.
Would someone like to arrange a get together? Or shall we save it for drinks on the 21st?
Why don't we pick it up on 21st.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service