Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello

I will moving back to the UK in May. My wife has been offered a job at City Uni (she is a lecturer) and we have elderly family in Herts and Essex. We have 2 children, boys who will be 11 and 12. We are therefore looking for somewhere to settle which will give easy enough access to the university (The Angel, Islington) as well as being affordable enough (I think ~400K would be our range) and having a good state school (hopefully offering music and art as well as science, maths and the other core subjects).

Our problem at the moment is of course that we are the other side of the world and don't know anyone with recent experience of the area. When we do talk to friends in the uk they tend to say, 'Ooh I wouldn't, good luck with that' or similar. We do get the feeling that it might be an area on the up and think it's worth looking at. 

So, I would like to ask the readership of this site for their suggestions as to where we may be happy to settle. We are pretty community minded so would be hoping for some good neighbours and some community activities that kind of thing.

Over to you.

Russell

Views: 1717

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are loads of Australians here! Some of them University Lecturers to boot! Like you I do not encounter them that often and I agree about it being a good thing.

This website is excellent for checking out schools in the UK.

The 341 bus goes from mid ladder (Hewitt down) to the Angel Islington.

I should say, we are actually English anyway, just been out of the country a while (15 years).

Russell

Yes, indeed. It's not for no reason that the Northern Line is affectionately known as 'The Misery Line.'

Oi! Don't diss the Piccadilly. It's not the fastest, but it's one of the most reliable. I love the speed of the Victoria, but it breaks a lot more often than the good ole Piccadilly, which always seems to pick up the slack when everything else fails!

How about Tottenham? Gladesmore school appears to be good. Anyone got knowledge of this school. Would you think Tottenham would be an awful idea, or not bad at all really? There are plenty of houses in our price bracket there and my wife has some historical family connection.

Russell

I live in Tottenham and have done for ten years. I'd highly recommend it. You'll get VASTLY  more space for your money if you buy here and, not being funny, but the public transport is about 300% better than it is in Harringay. We have the option of two tube lines - the Piccadilly and  the Victoria Line  - the Vic is widely considered one of the best - certainly the fastest, we have two overground lines and numerous buses to chose from. Got no idea about schools I'm afraid. Tottenham has a 'reputation,' which is what keeps the prices down. I can honestly say I dont find it any more scary than any other part of London. Good luck with your searches. Hope all goes well.

Thanks, your replies sum up the impression I'm getting, ranging from 'Hell Yeah it's great' to 'Whoa, would touch it with a bargepole'.

Would love to hear from someone with their kids in local state schools.

Thanks again anyway, much appreciated.

Russell

Village, you sure?  Wow them villages in Holland must be different to the ones here.

Spent a lot of time in Holland; Amsterdam, Den Helda etc

I think in comparison to other parts of London, it's like a village.  Clearly it doesn't look like a quaint little country village with a pub, one shop and a postbox, but I know what you mean about the feeling.  We used to live in Holloway, just a mile or so away from where we are now, and it didn't feel like a place in its own right, more like it was on the way to everywhere else.  We didn't really know anyone other than our next door neighbours and on the main road (Holloway Road), so many of the shops are chains and the road is so wide, that it feels very impersonal.  In Harringay, partly because of this site and other community projects like the market, and partly just the geography of the area and the types of shops and amenities, people do actually know each other and make an effort - not everyone does, but enough people do to make a difference.

Nout strange just an odd description in my opinion.

Hotbed of bourgeois activity amongst other things maybe and has some friendly folk around. Nothing like any village I have ever lived in or visited although the drains do kick out a countryside smell occasionally.

Paul Simon would have loved more of you a few years back when the tried to rebrand us Harringay Village/heights/hills ; )

Others have already covered the sorts of areas you'd be looking at for a £400k budget. All I can add is that I live in Harringay and worked at City Uni for a couple of years. The 341 does go very close, but it takes an age in the rush hour so I used to get the bus to Manor House tube, the piccadilly line to Kings Cross, then the northern line to Angel. Then it's about a 5 minute brisk walk along St John's Road. Door to door in rush hour about 35 - 40 mins max. Tube to Islington would be quicker but then you'd get stuck in traffic from there to City and it's a bit far too walk. If I were you I'd go North of Harringey and find a nice house, maybe Southgate or Oakwood which are an extra 10 mins on the Piccadilly line, but try to stick to somewhere near the tube. Harringay is good, but you won't get a nice house for £400k and I'd avoid Turnpike Lane and Wood Green but that's just my personal opinion. You should probably rent whilst planning on buying, so you can get a feel for the areas. Good luck :)

Yes we certainly be renting before buying. We have actually found a short term rent (via sabbaticalhomes.com) for 3 months in wood green to check out the area. So what's wrong with Wood Green?

Russell 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service