Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

People of North London, lend me your ears!

Have you heard about the planned closure of the YMCA in Crouch End?

This can’t happen! Help save the Y. How?

They need 300 new members so if you want to get fit and meet new friends the Y is the place for you!

Be a part of a wonderful community 

YOU can do it!

Views: 519

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for posting, but just to clarify, the organisation are not contemplating closing the whole operation, only the gym. Unless alternative options are found, it could shut could shut on April 28. 

Apparently, the pandemic and a new gym competitor in the area ( I imagine Pure Gym) has meant that memberships are reducing. Those factors along with energy cost increases mean that the gym is forecast to make a significant financial loss in the coming year

The Y have confirmed that “no other part” of the operation at Crouch End is being reviewed. The accommodation for young people in the Tottenham Lane site is unaffected and continues to house hundreds of young people who experience homelessness each year. Also, their work at The Harringay Club, Rokesly School and St Aidens School is also unaffected.

Of course, a petition has been mounted to demand that the gym is not closed, but for me that kind of misses the point: this is a charity that can't sustain significant losses. I imagine new members or creative routes to new financing would be welcome. I'm not sure what they do about a petition. 

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service