Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

As expected, the works outside the Salisbury have not only created chaos but also will lead - it is quite clear - to a significantly more dangerous situation for cylists.

No longer will cyclists be able to head from St Ann's Road up to Green Lanes and then turn left at the pub into the main road, as before, because the huge kerbs that have been installed on the bulging new "island" outside the north entrance to the pub prevent anyone from doing that without cycling straight into the path of oncoming traffic turning into St Ann's Road.

So one has to, instead, head east down St Ann's Road, move into the centre of the carriageway (notwithstanding you may have a number of boy racers just behind you enjoying, in the typical way for this location, the opportunity to get free of traffic and lights and put their foot to the floor) and then wait for a chance to turn before completing a dog-leg to the right - into Salisbury Road - and then heaving uphill (again ahead of impatient drivers keen to make - or break - the lights by the bookies) all the way to the junction. Time-consuming, dangerous, and pointless.

Not only that, but turning right into St Ann's Road from Green Lanes is also now far more hazardous because "quick" right turns ahead of slow-moving oncoming southbound traffic are now not possible as one has to head further north than previously before making the turn; and being undercut by right-turning vehicles is much more of a possibility because of the angle that one has to take the turn at.

I can't see any evidence that cyclists have been considered in these plans at all.

Views: 1787

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't quite understand this. I thought that ALL traffic was forced to make a right turn into Harringay Road, at the traffic lights before Green Lanes.

Did there used to be a provision for cyclists that allowed them NOT to turn right into Harringay Road? I've made that turn a hundred times and I can't remember a cycle lane exclusively for cyclists to turn left onto Green Lanes next to the Salisbury. [Confused].

Laura, that's absolutely correct. The only vehicles allowed through there were ambulances. Bicycles were not and will not be allowed, but clearly Paulie thinks otherwise. The refurb of this junction is shaping up to be fantastic; lots more pedestrian space & room to create decent outside spaces along this stretch of GL. But you can please everyone!

What about fire engines?

The point is, before, bikes could turn easily, and safely, left onto Green Lanes. Now they can't and have to choose between Scylla and Charybdis, as it were. As for more pedestrian space - who said there was a need for more pedestrian space?!? What this will mean is more room for drinkers. And as I said a moment ago, and when the consultation was on: the priority at this junction imo is the lack of any safe way to cross from the pub towards the cab firm. Those with children will realise this is far more of a hazard than the possibility of bikes emerging by the pub.

In any event, there is a very good argument to say that bikes SHOULD be able to turn left at the pub but as it's not going to be physically possible anymore, it's probably not an argument worth having.

Amusingly, I have just found this:

Green Lanes Loop - Pocket Park

There is good news too for those who want a little oasis of calm in the middle of this busy neighbourhood. The Green Lanes Strategy Group has won funding from the GLA for a 'Pocket Park' that will span the area from Allison Road to the Salisbury pub.

These schemes will bring bold improvement to the street and public spaces in the area; and will make a positive difference to residents, businesses and visitors. The schemes will also encourage people to walk and cycle.....

I already pointed out the no entry sign relates to the lane on the north side of the junction, not the hatched area to the south of it..

:) you could always get off and walk through the stop line. Now, though..

I agree. The new island should be bordered by a dedicated cycle lane.

No.

Nice use of sarcasm, Tris. If however you are concerned about safety for pedestrians you are presumably campaigning for a pedestrian crossing outside the cab firm? 

No probs :)

I tend to agree with you,  up to a point. But you used to be able to do that without harming anyone (and in fact, for pedants out there, the no entry sign relates to the roadway itself and not the hatchings, although vehicles aren't supposed to enter those).

Now you literally won't be able to do that and the alternatives will (a) take longer and (b) be more dangerous for cyclists.

Re the crossing thing - as someone said on the consultation document, Colina Road is a nightmare. The new layout will make the roads narrower - which might help - but there'll still be no easy or entirely safe way to get either from Tescos to the chip shop, say - because you have no traffic lights, and whenever you cross you are always crossing at a time when vehicles might lawfully be turning into Colina Road; and if you are crossing from the Salisbury to the chip shop you again cannot cross when it is "safe" because there is NO safe phase.

Why can't cyclists dismount at the Salisbury and wheel their bikes over the pavement and round into Green Lanes ?

It must be all of 10 yards.

Well that may be possible, depending on the number (and disposition) of people discoursing on the new "piazza"..

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service