Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

High winds from the south have brought with them dust/sand all the way from the Sahara! Have a look at the cars in your street and you'll see a thin film all over them. So not local pollen, something a little more exotic than that.

Reported on the BBC weather forecast at lunchtime but you can read a little about it in The Metro. The warm weather with the southerly wind is set to continue this week so more of that desert dust maybe depositing itself upon our green hills (gardens, cars, roads ...).

This has happened before (2008) in Wales and was a talking point for the people of Florida (2012). A timely phenomenon for todays release of the UN report, Climate Change: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability (pdf) Or you can peruse the BBC summary.

Not Alexandra Palace :)

Views: 897

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not only do I have to contend with all the sand that the kids bring home in their shoes most days - now it's blowing over from the desert..????

Yes it is, rather bizarrely. BBC weather presenter explains here on video.

Thanks for posting this, Matt. Interesting. I lived in Rabat for a couple of years and every now and then the city wold get shrouded as a dust storm rolled in.

This is what it looks like today from Canary Wharf.

despite all the rain last night. The planet's immune system has awoken. We will be washed, scoured and swallowed off the surface.

Wow. Is that now?

PS I'm so sorry you have to put up with that awful view. How rotten for you. Views at home - views at work - people like you should pay a view tax! (He said, green with envy).

Yes, tax the nview rich. Stunning photo John. Hugh will be suggesting lunch! Makes one realise just what an incredible profile the Shard has. LAs skyline looks lame in comparison 

Yes, that was just before I posted it. Nobody has that view without walking around to the meeting room that faces west.

OK, I'm popping over to meet for a latte ... just grabbing my coat sunglasses. Hope your firm has a helipad nearby.

Hugh has photoshopped the one from yesterday with one I took today... Yikes!

You need to click on it to see the magic.

woah! Our very own pollution reporting team. Great work guys. Was bad today for sure. The combination of those photos flicking back between yesterday & today captures that brilliantly. Btw, in Beijing it's not unusual to be 400 times over the WHO recommended limits - a desert dust & pollution combo as well.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service