Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just had a knock at my door female caller enquiring about a room to let? apparently she needs somewhere to stay ,also asked if i knew if any of my neighbours needed a lodger at first i thougt she was alone but then i saw she had a guy waiting by my garage?. My son has just told me she knocked last week as well, just wondered if anyone else has had this happen ? seems a bit odd. I watched as  they left and she knocked a few others .

Views: 471

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds dodgy to me. Several weeks ago I did get a fake policeman knocking on my door and asking about the neighbours... basically wanted to know who lived there, possibly also hoping to have me invite him in (had one foot inside the house). The police I called afterwards didn't know anything about this guy or the so-called investigation he said he was carrying out. Seems like your knocker is on the same chance of finding someone alone or vulnerable who'll let her in. Of course that's just an assumption, but we do have instincts.

...on the other hand - if there are a lot of HMOs in the area this may be a good way of finding a room. Agencies may charge a fee (illegally) for room finding. I remember looking for digs in my youth and it can be a pretty demoralising search. And a couple is well advised to send the woman in first, I always got to be in the front when my then spouse + I would hitch hike to Scotland. I blame the scammers and thieves for creating an atmosphere where our first reaction is always suspicion.

You're absolutely right and if that's the case then this woman deserves a lot of credit. I'm not saying suspicion should be the first reaction, only you know how you felt about her. The suspicion I had about my policeman got strong only after he'd gone, whilst I was talking to him I generally believed he was genuine though a bit weird. I just think of the people who kindly let thieves in because they had no suspicion (or ignored it). There's a fine line between being open to total strangers' queries and trusting them enough to show them your home or give them information on who lives next door.

Are you saying that this individual has turned up wearing a police uniform? Obviously impersonating a police officer is a serious offence. I would have thought the police were following up on this ... ? Who in the police did you ring; the Safer Neighbourhood Team? If so, they may not be aware of another section of the police carrying out enquires.

He was in plain clothing and when he showed me his badge I realised I wouldn't know if it was a real one or a fake so I hardly looked at it – police told me afterwards I could have taken his number and ring them to check if there really was an investigation in progress. I called the police station shortly after he left and it wasn't long before a couple of real police officers in uniforms showed up to take a statement. They had no record of the so-called investigation, neither did the neighbouring district. Unfortunately I'm not good at describing people and couldn't give much details, I just remember how he felt and the little things that weren't quite right. There was no follow up.

OK, definitely sounds like a scam. Thanks for letting us know.

absolutely finding somewhere to live is very hard,but given the fact that the guy with her was hiding trying to keep out of sight did not seem right, but we shall see if they return a third time.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service