Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

the lady in the email copied below would like to know where her grandfather and grandmothers bench was. Any ideas?

Dear Anne

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, I would like you to post the diary extract on the local social network - it might yield some more information.

Thanks for your help.

Pam Freeman

--- On Mon, 5/1/09, The Friends of Finsbury Park wrote:

Subject: Re: Manor House Fountain
To: pamfreeman@talk21.com
Date: Monday, 5 January, 2009, 11:33 PM

Pam,

The tennis courts used to be near the Manor House gate on the covered reservoir, the fountain was opposite the gate. There are many London planes in the Park but I don't know of an American Plane, maybe he got the name a bit wrong. The nearest London Planes to Manor House are along the carriage drive going north, there are also some near the ornamental flower beds.
Thanks for sharing the diary. If you would like I can post your message on the local social network to see if any local historians know more.

Anne Barwick

pamfreeman@talk21.com wrote:
> Dear Friends
>
> I have been reading my grandfather's diary of 1913. He courted my grandmother in Finsbury Park and made this entry:
>
> 'We walked round the park by the asphalte tennis courts, then up to her favourite path, where we sat for a long time together on a seat*, and then back to the asphalte tennis-courts and back again.
>
> *This seat must become famous. It shall be "Our Seat". It is opposite Platanus Occidentalis in the most beautiful path in the Park - not far from the Manor House Fountain.'
>

> I presume the tennis courts were located in the same place as the present ones and all the benches have been removed. However, are the trees still the original ones from 1913 and where was the fountain?
>
> I would be very pleased if you could throw some light on the location of the fountain and the likely location of their seat.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Pam Freeman
>

Views: 66

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lovely story, I hope someone can tell you the answer. Out of curiosity, where was the covered reservoir and the manor house fountain?
Is not the bit of the park alongside Seven Sisters Rd a covered reservoir?

I loved this too... it would be funny to compare it to a contemporary local couples "courting".
Is it really?? I never knew that, you learn something new every day etc etc
Yikes! I'm not 100% sure as I heard it in the pub (I do remember it was the Nicholas Nickleby in Ferme Park Rd) a while ago. There is a covered reservoir at the top of Ferme Park Rd but you're not allowed to play games on it. I think you're allowed on the one in Highgate.
You are right, John. The raised area that looks like a sports pitch between the 'McKenzie Pavilion Gallery' and the 'Avenue' (Seven Sisters Rd direction) is the covered reservoir.
What a lovely story.

I saw a programme on TV the other day in which they said the London Plane originally came from America. According to wikipedia:
The London Plane or Hybrid Plane (Platanus × hispanica, synonyms Platanus × acerifolia and Platanus × hybrida) is a tree in the genus Platanus. It is usually thought to be a hybrid of the Oriental Plane, P. orientalis, with the American Plane (American sycamore), P. occidentalis. Some authorities think that it may be a cultivar of P. orientalis, but there is little evidence for this.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service