Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Did anyone listen to this radio programme which talks about the first broadcast from Ally Pally?

Tags for Forum Posts: ally_pally, radio_broadcasts

Views: 143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very interesting but no mention of Alexandra Palace. Not surprising since it's about the history of music on RADIO .

I did think though that  Gambaccini should revive " Letter from America " for us oldies - his voice is very similar to Alistair Cooke's

Why was there a photo of Ally Pally - perhaps they mention it in a future episode?

No idea, but nothing surprises me about the BBC these days. Maybe AP was thought to be sexier than the wooden hut at Writtle.

BBC - accuracy- oxymoron :(

Someone somewhere is confused and I can guess why: the anniversaries for radio, on the one hand, and television, on the other hand, both occur in November. 

In the case of Ally Pally, the first scheduled broadcast of public TV broadcasting, on 405-line "high" definition, began on 2 November 1936.

I am not aware that there was ever a radio station at AP.

Under the able leadership of AP CEO Duncan Wilson, the big bid from AP will go to the Heritage Lottery Fund at the end of this month. If successful, it will see the refurbishment of most of the east side of AP. To include the big entrance to the ice rink, the Victorian Theatre to its right and not least, the original 1936 television studios to its left.

Looking further out, the long term aim for the studio complex is global recognition. It may yet become London's fifth UNESCO World Heritage site.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service