Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Quernmore Road (up from Harringay Station) has been chosen as one of the 3 projects in our region in Tesco's Bags of Help scheme.  Voting is now open at the following stores and will continue to 13th November.  We'd be really grateful if you visit one of them for your vote. Visit the website www.quernmoreroad.com for more info'.  If you could share this with your contacts, we be most grateful. Twitter @QuernmoreRoad.  Thanks, Kit

Express 5222 ST JOHN CLERKNWLL EXP
Express 5486 NEWINGTON GREEN EXP
Express 5487 SEVEN SISTERS RD EXP
Express 5539 ESSEX RD ISLINGTN EXP
Express 5581 LOWER HOLLOWAY EXP
Express 5648 DRAYTON PARK EXP
Express 5912 1-23 CITY RD LON EXP
Express 5953 PENTONVILL RD LON EXP
Express 6187 CALEDONIAN RD LDN EXP
Express 6314 SISTERS RD LDN EXP
Express 6409 LDN HOLLOWAY EXP
Express 6545 LONDON 24 CHIS ST EXP
Express 6787 CLERKENWELL ST EXP
Express 6803 ISLINGTON NW NRT EXP
Metro 2747 ISLINGTON METRO
Metro 2789 KINGS CROSS METRO
Express 4577 ARCHWAY HOLLOWAY RD EXPRESS
Metro 3222 STROUD GREEN METRO
Metro 5453 HIGHBURY METRO

Tags for Forum Posts: regeneration project

Views: 2086

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At least the businesses on Green Lanes bought their own planters.

I don't think I've seen any rubbish in the planters on Green Lanes. And do you think the coffee shop on Quernmore will allow it to become a litter bin seeing as their customers will use it? Personally I think many of you complaining are upset because it's on the other side of the tracks..

Time will tell

I personally am not complaining as I very seldom use this street (living on the other side of the tracks ) so it won't bother me.

But is this street, even though it is a cul de sac, not part of the public highway and are private individuals, however well-meaning, allowed to take it over ?

I'm Matt, I own the coffee shop on Quernmore Road. I'm saddened to hear some of the comments being made here, and I just to clear up some of the points made. 

The group are all volunteers, who have all given over a lot of our own free time, in busy lives,  to organise this project - including the PR company, owned by a local resident, who very kindly pledged her company's help in assisting in a local community project, for no charge, something which I imagine would normally cost thousands of pounds.

We have been transparent and vocal, encouraging the community to join us as the numerous pubic meetings over the past year and a half held at the Stroud Green Library, to discuss what everyone would like to see in this space. To suggest that we are driving this forward in an underhand way is untrue.

We have worked closely with our local councillors, and during early 2016 were awarded their ward budget to upgrade the dangerous pavements, upgrade the collapsing road drains and plant new tress - the more recent stage of this project has been to find funding to improve the space with more planting, a new history/community board and seating. 

There are simply hundreds of grants available to community groups - Tescos only being one of them. They have nothing to do with this project, other than being the hosts of the grant money. 

On a personal note, to suggest that my involvement in this project is to solely benefit myself is ridiculous. I run a successful business, and work extremely hard to achieve this. The amount of hours spent letter writing, meeting council officials, Veolia officials, organising public meetings, using my own money to print items, standing in the freezing cold handing out leaflets would have been far better, and more profitably used, focusing on my own business. It's sad to see that some people's opinion of others they don't know, are so low. 

For any other queries you may have, why don't you pop into my shop, and introduce yourself as I'm sure we haven't met  - I'll gladly treat you to a coffee whilst I answer all your questions. On one condition, that you join in in improving your neighbourhood positively, and not criticising those who do.

Down with this sort of thing Matt!

How come you are able to do this and the residents trying to improve the street scene on the ladder (yes, with some of that money available from those grants) are being harassed by the council? What is so special about what you are doing?

And please don't think that people who live over in Harringay are not also "letter writing, meeting council officials, Veolia officials, organising public meetings, using my own money to print items, standing in the freezing cold handing out leaflets" on their own free time despite being employees (bosses get to employ people and then devote themselves full time to the above).

Assuming how I manage my workalike is a little silly really John, we have never met! Added to the tone of your message, I don't think any answer I reply would satisfy you.

However, if you would like to meet for a coffee, I can share with you how we went about improving our street, and pass on any experiences/contacts we used that might be useful for your project?

@ Matt

Could you answer the question above - " But is this street, even though it is a cul de sac, not part of the public highway and are private individuals, however well-meaning, allowed to take it over ? "

I reserve the right to criticise anybody I like ( although I haven't )

I'm not entirely sure what your question is. As far as I am aware, I have not claimed to have 'taken it over'. This is your, misinformed, opinion. 

NB: I also reserve the right to criticise anybody I like, though I choose not to. 

I don't see how it could be any simpler but I'll try.

The information sheet is not specific about where the installation will be put but it sounds as if it will be in the roadway. Have the proposers asked for permission to do this ?

You may recall that one of our HOL members placed a simple bench seat on the pavement at the bottom of Frobisher for the benefit of the community and the Council promptly ordered him to remove it.

I assure you we have all the correct permissions for this project.

Well, that's ok then

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service