Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just a reminder that there will be a public meeting with Network Rail at tonight at 7pm at Fairfax Hall (Kurdish Community Centre), 11 Portland Gardens, N4 1HU.

If you live near the Goblin line you hopefully will have received a survey about the issue. You can also complete the survey here.

Hopefully see some of you tonight!

Views: 279

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'd like to compliment David Lammy for organising a very useful meeting which brought local residents together with the key players from Network Rail and their contractors, Arup. The following is a brief account of my impressions of the meeting.

For those who are unfamiliar with the problem, I can say that for many years people in houses bordering the line have been subjected to noise and vibrations from very long goods trains that pass by in the small hours of the morning, and that in some cases there is real concern that the neighbouring houses (which in this stretch of the line are often less than 30 yards from the line) are suffering from structural damage. A couple of years ago, the problem became dramatically worse with the temporary closure of the North London Line causing a diversion of traffic over the Goblin Line (ie the line from Gospel Oak to Barking) and the deterioration was made worse, first by the increasing traffic caused by the construction work at the Olympic Park, and secondly by improvements to the line which paradoxically made matters worse than before because they enabled trains to be more heavily laden and to move more rapidly than hitherto.  Although the problem subsequently reduced, it has again increased of late. 

What struck me particularly about the meeting was that there now appears to have been a complete change of culture at Network Rail. In particular, Dave Ward, who has been the Route Manager for the Southeast Region of Network Rail since November 2011, told us that "Up to now we haven't been good neighbours. I will stay on it until the problem is resolved." He then cited work which has recently been put in place in Walthamstow and indicated that the same would be begun here, either just before Christmas or early in the new year.

One aspect of Mr. Ward's presentation which particularly impressed me was his suggestion that people who are concerned about damage to houses should approach their house insurers who would in turn set their lawyers and technical experts on Network Rail. In effect, he was inviting people to make use of experts whom their insurers would pay for in order to make life difficult for Network Rail. That, I think, is real progress. He also indicated that he intends to do something about the excessive lighting of Harringay Green Lanes station in the small hours. Most importantly, he indicated that he had already provisionally identified three trains which were causing unacceptable disturbance.

Turning again to the question of vibrations, the position in brief is as follows:

The initial work involves monitoring vibrations with sensors placed at various distances placed near, and occasionally within some of the houses affected, and also at varying distances from the tracks. The importance of this work is that it provides data which enables Network Rail to make detailed criticisms of the practices of the train operators and where necessary to require the train operators to change their practices, including even the speeds of the trains. The monitoring work will itself be checked by an independent consultant whom Network Rail will pay but who will be appointed by and answerable to local people. The consultant will have access to Network Rail's data.

Any necessary changes in train operators' practice which are revealed by analysis of the Walthamstow data will be brought in quickly and will benefit other areas of the line. One particular matter which is being looked at is the use of wagons which are equipped with old fashioned "C suspension" for the carrying of heavy loads at speed. In the spring, work will commence, where the need is identified, on matters of track and rail maintenance.

A small committee of residents, active in local associations, will be forming a contact group to provide a link between residents and Network Rail, and you will shortly be hearing in greater detail from them. Anyone, however, who wishes to make representations direct can do so via email to harringayissues@networkrail.co.uk Of particular interest will be precise indications as to the times when excessive noise is experienced, and the post code or nearest cross street where the noise is experienced. Precisions is needed, of course, so that the company can identify the precise trains whcih are causing the problem.

David Schmitz

Liberal Democrat Councillor for Harringay ward

I'd like to return David Schmitz's compliment to David Lammy. I wasn't at the meeting and have taken no part in discussions on this issue. My compliment is for the willingness of both Davids to ignore the playground antics of Haringey party "debate" when it comes to trying to tackle a real-world problem in the interest of local people.

Of course not every problem can be solved by discussion and mediation.  Not least because people may have fundamentally opposed interests. And also because there are often serious divisions of principle about what people want and what they believe.

David Schmitz's comment about "a complete change of culture"  is crucial. I sincerely hope that's the case and does not rely on a very welcome but not necessarily permanent change of heart driven by one or two key Network Rail or rail company staff. (Who may later be moved, promoted, or get another job elsewhere.)

He also highlights an MP's role in bringing different parties together across a table. In 2003 David Lammy chaired a "station summit" for Tottenham Hale station doing something similar to solve more localised problems - rats, lack of disabled access, inadequate lighting, litter, poor signage etc. It worked; and is a sound model to try to apply elsewhere.

David Schmitz  quotes a third David, Dave Ward from Network Rail, saying that: "Up to now we haven't been good neighbours. I will stay on it until the problem is resolved".   It seems to me that "how to be a better neighbour?" is at the heart of countless issues raised in local associations of one kind or another. Including local residents' associations; websites; and yes, potentially even political parties.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

Thanks Alan.

Best,

David

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service