Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Protest about lap-dancing licence for Crouch End venue

Read this over someone's shoulder today - application for a lap-dancing licence for the Music Palace on Tottenham Lane N8.

More here

Tags for Forum Posts: dancing, lap, lap dancing

Views: 262

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Yes especially when they are earning a good salary, good luck to them if it enhances their (children & family) quality of life!

It's personal choice, it's not actually demeaning to women, it's usually demeaning to the men (and women) who go to strip joints. As has been said it's about moderation, six in Crouch End would be a disaster, one is fine in my mind.

I don't mind admitting I have been to a few, I dislike them as I feel uncomfortable, but with friends I have been. I buy a beer, decline all offers (for moral and financial reasons) and watch Sky Sports and chat to my mates. Waste of money in my eyes but, it's down to choice. I have said I am gay before, as that deters their persistence. Not my idea of a good time, but that's freedom of choice for you.

I have never, ever heard or seen one argument against male strippers / models, sexism at it's best.
I think they're exploitative and degrading and I'd hate to have one anywhere near me. Sorry, I really disagree with the view that if it does not cause anyone physical harm and people make a bit of money then its all okay. No way.

If you're interested in what it's like working in one, there was an interesting article in the Guardian last year (here). Sure, it's in the Guardian so it would have a particular line - and of course there will be women who work in them who'd disagree. But I don't think they are harmless, I think they are about a certain way of thinking about women and men and sex - and it isn't a way that I share or want to encounter in my day to day life.
Not all is as you read it in the Grauniad, I am sure there are places like that but not all. It’s the kind of article that Janet Street-Porter would have wrote only to “Fwaaar” at a bloke in next weeks editorial.

I find the general perception of women portrayed in women’s magazines to be degrading when aspirations of fame, clothes, cosmetic surgery and weight loss to be the only issues on the agenda. Although this can be applied to a lot of peoples aspirations today.

I’m not conservative when it comes to sex or the exposure of it, whatever form it comes in, whether it is in Crouch End or Soho. I’m not offended by the human body and see it’s beauty in every person. We all know that suppressing something only leads to people getting more intrigued.

When I use to do life drawing at art school the women’s (or should I say womyn!) body was far more interesting to paint, especially the more covetous.

I think if you have control over your own body and feel comfortable with that, then that’s fine. When somebody else controls your body and what happens to it that is when it becomes dangerous.

Some may find it offensive to humans, I don’t, and it’s natural in my opinion.

We don’t live in Crouch End so I dare say it’s up to the residents to decide.
I suspect we don't disagree as much as we think Birdy. I just don't see lapdancing clubs as a way of celebrating the beauty of the human body in all its glory and variety!!

But yes, over to the Crouch End residents!
Alison, I agree with you.
I've not seen "Chicago" which describes itself as London's "sexiest" musical, but all the posters show barely women wearing fishnets and little else. presumably they dance, and people (lots of people) pay to watch them. Is this exploitative? Should we ban this sick filth?
Where do we draw the line, Pam's People? Music? West End Musicals? Ice Skating? Art (of which many of the life artists were raving perverts)? Films depicting sex.

I believe in equality and the freedom to chose, not the strain of one sided feminism that nearly forced all men to flee to Wales in the seventies:

hmmmm..... strange choice of argument there birdy (the two ronnies).
i live in crouch end and i HATE pole/lap dancing venues.
i hate the people that go into them even more.
i also worry about who the girls are and if they are safe.
if the joint were to run by women for women i would be slightly less concerned but they never are, are they ?
we live in a free liberal democracy where choice is valued.
I choose to stay away from these naff dives and the pathetic people in them.
I can live with one venue but no more than that in crouch end please.

P.S.
i live away from harringay green lanes but because i visit/shop there i feel part of it.
harringay green lanes, where is that? I thought that was a railway station, do you mean Harringay? ;-)
Don't start that one up here for gawds sake. :-)
I feel a lot of hatred in you James, won't you lie down on my sofa and tell me all about it?

Do you have any hard facts about how brutaly these ladies are treated, or is it left wing stereotypical propaganda you are basing it on?

I worked for an animal rights/feminist organisation for three years and got so fed up of the inequality there. As I have said I believe in equality (not feminism) and the freedom of choice, not nanny or dictator style attitudes.

I am not a frequent visitor to such places and find the whole experience uncomfortable but believe they can exist if "womynaged" properly, I just don’t take the left wing fashionable viewpoint that they are evil.

BTW, the Two Ronnies sketch was a joke just in case you thought it was backing my opinion up, it wasn't.
Please read my post more carefully. Would you like to borrow my specatacles ?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service