Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Proposed Diagonal Crossing at Warham Road / Salisbury Road / Green Lanes

I'm looking forward to going to the drop in this afternoon about the proposed High Street changes, which all looks very exciting. The one thing I think would really make the environment and is clearly missing is a diagonal crossing at Warham Road / Green Lanes.

These crossings have been incredibly popular in Japan in recent decades and in the last couple of years we've had our own hugely successful one at Oxford Circus followed by a pretty successful one at Wood Green.

The idea is that the crossings get moved much closer to the junction, the horrible and dangerous barriers for cyclists are removed and the whole of the junction area is raised flush with the pavement. When the green man blinks people can then cross in all directions at the same time including diagonally. It doesn't slow down traffic on the roads and greatly improves human flow. It also makes the whole junction area more open, human and friendly and it helps to calm traffic.

I've mocked up a drawing of how it would look (the relative road and pavement dimensions are all accurate), which is below. If anyone would like to see this happen, then PLEASE say so in the consultation document feedback form and let them know in the drop-in sessions. Thanks!

Tags for Forum Posts: Crossings, Diagonal, Green, Improvements, Lanes

Views: 826

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another post!

Pleased to see this and will happily include it in consultation response. I often walk the diagonal as it is; it's the only way to cross Salisbury Road and Green Lanes in 1 light sequence.

Sorry, but I have to sound a note of caution on this - it might not work so well on a practical level.

As you know, Salisbury Road and Warham Road are one-way, and for the majority of the light sequence, traffic flows across the junction both ways on Green Lanes.

Therefore for most of the time the pedestrian lights on the crossing on Salisbury Road are green (green man), to allow pedestrian traffic to flow along Green Lanes, except when the traffic control lights are green to allow one-way traffic to exit Salisbury Road.

If an 'all-ways' / diagonal crossing was introduced, then you would either need to have 'red man' except when all traffic was stopped, or have a confusing 'green man' signal just on Salisbury Road. Neither of these are desirable, I would say.

I do agree that provision for pedestrian crossing could be improved a lot at St Ann's Road junction, though. Currently the delays between 'Green Man' are so long it encourages risk-taking. And the right turn green arrow filter into St Ann's Road for northbound traffic on Green Lanes is much longer than necessary, as far as I can see - some of that time could be used to increase pedestrian crossing time.

I understand exactly what you're saying Kieran and I have thought of this, but there's no reason why the crossing for the Salisbury Road can't continue to be a green man for most of the sequence with the other crossings kicking in at the 'all go' diagonal moment.

As it currently works, in the sequence you often have green man across Green Lanes at the same time as across Salisbury road, so in essence there is a diagonal crossing currently in operation but without the diagonal markings! I and many others when there is a 'double' green man like this go straight across diagonally as it stands; in some ways this would just be codifying this practice by putting in the markings for that diagonal crossing.

So I don't believe that it wouldn't work well on a practical level, the phasing of the lights just has to be properly thought out.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service