Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

That's all. The floor is yours.
Someone needs to convince me to vote for them.

Tags for Forum Posts: 2014 elections

Views: 2100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They are three Conservatives standing in St. Ann's.  They live there.

I assume by 'big gun' you mean me?  Well I'm not such a big gun.  I was just an ordinary civilian and had left the murky world of politics 9 years behind me when Justin asked me to give it a shot.   He enticed me with Harringay because he knew how much I liked it and that I have spent a lot of time here, and my husband is crazy about the baklava shops. 

Even so, I wasn't that keen on standing and put off making a decision for a couple of weeks.  I talked to a friend who lives here in Harringay, at some length, pouring my little heart out and ended up in tears at one point.  It was then that I realised that I should go through with it because it struck me how raw I still was about what was going on.  Remember, I have said I used to vote Labour -- before I moved to Haringey and became disgusted with what was going on here.

But let's face it, John.  This situation is as bad as it is only because there are so many people in this area who would still vote Labour if the Leader turned up in person on their doorstep with a red hot poker in one hand and a speculative look on her face.  There is no feeling of uncertainty, no urgency, no sense of vulnerability in the Labour party ONLY because they are shielded by a phalanx of dedicated voters who say to me on the doorstep "I've been voting Labour all my life -- I'm too ingrained."  Sometime they apologise as well, but that doesn't help. 

I'm afraid I cannot understand that mentality.  This isn't a football team.  Quite literally, lives are at stake when Councillors muck up -- kids in care (or not), old people on dangerous road crossings, residents in houses poisoned by petrol fumes from jammed-up traffic -- the list would get boring.

But I do have some hope.  There are some who are angry enough along with me.  I just hope they are enough in number.

btw.  in answer to your question, "what good could you do in Harringay", the answer is that it wouldn't really matter what ward I was elected in.  If a Conservative gets elected in any Tottenham ward at all -- me or anyone else -- it will be such a smack in the face for the Labour party that they might even start to behave themselves a bit.

Perhaps you guys in St. Ann's should consider that when you get into the voting booths.

Lydia Rivlin: Conservative candidate, Harringay ward.

ALL Councillor Candidates are would-be representatives of the people. Public service in this way would be an  honour and a privilege.

In Highgate Ward, I'm trying to meet as many residents as possible and to get my name as well known as possible, with who I am and what I'm about.

I would expect all the St Ann's Ward candidates to be proud to serve and as far as possible, to be ready, willing and able to defend themselves and to make themselves known.

Disclosure:
I am a prospective councillor candidate
Highgate Ward | Liberal Democrat Party

I like what the Lib dem candidates are saying here - at least it relates to Harringay, and I am particularly keen to vote for someone who will protect health services at St Ann's.

Here are the details of the Green party candidates in St Ann's. 

http://www.haringeygreens.org.uk/st_ann_s_candidates

I think we've heard from the St Ann's Ward Labour candidates - their silence speaks volumes. 

I hope you're right RosyRose. I hope everyone has heard their loud silence. And so will act in accordance.

Here is some information about the two TUSC candidates standing in St Ann's ward. 

Andrew Reid's Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andrew-Reid-for-Councillor/139810600...

A video interview with Simon Hester:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TfC8toxsnw

Apparently "Mr Spoiled-Paper" (must be a Tory) is doing well in St Ann's.

Some people are using magic markers to scrawl derogatory messages across their ballot papers in St Ann's. This will be seen by the candidates as they inspect the count so not as futile as it seems.

Spoiling papers is Definitely better than not turning up. A very clear message.

I think it's better to vote for someone.

Worth noting (I'd forgotten) that you have a list of all candidates with their parties, and then you put 3 crosses on this list, so it is possible to vote for individuals and for multiple parties, if you want to. There are 3 crosses because there are 3 councillor positions in the ward.

Did anyone else notice that two of the candidates addresses were the same ? One of the green candidates and one of the conservative candidates were listed as living at the same address on Avondale road..... This is either a mistake or very odd...

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service