Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Pickles Settles Confusion and Names Haringey 'worst authority'

Little love lost? Clare Kober, Leader of Haringey Council and Eric Pickles Minister for Communities and Local Government

Communities secretary Eric Pickles has issued a letter of correction after he wrongly identified Hackney as the worst performing local authority in the country in regard to planning applications on Monday. His correction instead puts Haringey in the frame.

In a House of Commons debate yesterday, Mr Pickles was asked by shadow secretary Hillary Benn during a debate on the Growth and Infrastructure Bill to name “one example of a so-called failing planning authority”.

Mr Pickles responded: “As the right hon. Gentleman knows and, more particularly, as other Opposition Members know, I have been more than helpful to those Members who have had trouble with planning authorities and I have done my best to move things along, but I am very happy to name the worst, which is Hackney.”

The remarks led to calls by Hackney’s mayor for Mr Pickles to apologise and issue a retraction. (See attached letter)

A ministerial correction has now been issued and is part of the Hansard official record, which stated that Mr Pickles meant to identify Haringey as the worst performing authority in regard to planning applications.

It remains to be seen what sort of letter Clare Kober will send the Minister.

Story picked up from Construction News

Views: 2245

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

John, I too have been waiting for the correction and apology to appear. Perhaps on the Council's own webpage called: Setting the Record Straight.

Today, reading parts of the Leveson Inquiry Report I am certain that my fellow councillors will join me in redoubling our efforts to meet our "responsibilities to the public interest: to respect the truth".

(Labour councillor Tottenham Hale ward)

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service