Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I wasn't googling my own name - honest.

I was looking up a name I recognised on the radio and an entry came up on 192.com offering to find the person's address. So I entered my own name, up came an entry on 192, which included  - an entry for everywhere I have lived (not the street address but area) with electoral role dates, an estimate of my age, the name of other people who lived there at the same time, other people who have lived at the same property at other times

- the option to pay for my full address and postcode, "background report", length of occupancy, property price, and details of any sales of the property.

I am quite shocked. I guess this information was previously available through much more longwinded process, like looking through every phonebook or every electoral roll, but know you could find out a huge amount about where someone lives, who they live with, where they have lived before, in about ten seconds. And the thought that someone could just pay for my address is quite unnerving.

Being ex directory it seems (?) would not stop this information appearing, but there is an option to remove your electoral roll records from 192:  http://statics.192.com/rel-4b129/downloads/C01.pdf

Does anyone know anything else about this? Are there any other services like this that could be selling our details?

Views: 446

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is rather surprising. They seem to make the removal process as difficult as possible by providing the form in print-complete-scan-and-return format only. To shortcut that somewhat I've made a form-fill version of the pdf which you can complete on your computer and attach to an email.

To use it you'll need to set up a digital signature first - though these can be useful to have so nota bad thing to do anyway. I'm also attaching a 'how-to' that I found online for this.

To access the digital signature field, right click and download/save as, then open on your computer as a normal pdf.

Attachments:
Thanks Hugh. It seems to be a common tactic, like companies refunding you with a cheque in ten working days! Anyway glad to know I'm not being totally paranoid about this.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service