Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

...... three separate people have been though mine and my neighbours bins today .... been noticing this has been on the increase lately in general. Anyone else noticed this ? How can we stop it happening ..? Everyone make sure you don't put any confid docs in your bins !!!!!!

Tags for Forum Posts: theft from dustbins

Views: 2867

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hope you shouted at them?!

You'd probably get sued for this, but I'd be tempted to put a couple of mousetraps in there!

How about you try and talk to them? You might find that they are not identity thieves but people who are forced to sort through your shit to live. Shout at them - what are you? Some toff from the 19th century. Would you not be better served hitting them with your riding crop?

Sorry but if some thief is in my front garden, going through my bins, then I'm gonna shout 'oy, get out of my bin' out of my window!

I don't see how that makes me a 'toff', 19th century or otherwise. Jeez!

Con you seam very naive if you think these people are only after valuables and not your identity. My bin is for my waste not a charity bin! My wife has had her idenity stolen probably by these people. There is a place for charity and understanding but stealing things from bins is not it.

I do more than shout, not have a go at my neighbours who may have stopped my bins being rumaged through.

Nope, Con is just sticking up for people who MAY be trying to exist by rootling through the bins full of stuff you no longer want at the front of your house.

Shouting at someone in the street is an attack on the dignity of the person and belittles your own integrity. Yes you may have been a victim of ID theft but you don’t know who perpetrated this crime. No every person who is forced to demean themselves by going through others rubbish is culpable. Treating them so is paramount to a hate crime and urging others to do so is reckless. 

Oh don't be so daft. I'm not talking about chasing someone down the street yelling obscenities at them!

I'm saying that if someone is thieving from my bins, in my front garden (and if you think these people are not up to no good, just speak to the local police, and they will put you straight), I will lean out of my window and shout at them to stop it.

The reason I would prefer to do this, rather than go down and politely tell them not to, is a) by the time I've done that, they may well have stolen something and disappeared, and b) I don't want to out myself in physical danger by confronting this person face to face.

And before you start again with the 'toff' comment, I'm as liberal as they come, give away all my old stuff via Freecycle, and give food to FoodAid, for people in fire circumstances.

Shouting at a thief in the middle of their crime to put them off is not 'paramount' (sic) to hate crime! You are either very very naive , or you're on a wind up.

The Police think we're all criminals, that's why none of us have any friends who are policemen, so bringing them into it does not help your argument.

Could you just explain the relevance of this comment? I simply don't understand what it has to do with the topic... many thanks.

I'm saying that listening to the police telling you who is a criminal and who is not is wrong. They see criminals almost everywhere.

What about our local alcoholic who scavenges disposed CRT TVs for copper but  actually cleans up after himself? Criminal? No.

John, thanks for the explanation. Very observant, a case well made. Could you please also explain who you are referring to 'none of us' have any friends who are 'policemen'? I am not sure if that is true, unless by 'us' you mean your own family or circle of friends? Also, 'policemen' is a sexist term surely and indicates prejudice on a gender bias? Still a bit confused. 

How terribly terribly sensitive of you C 

If I may grass John up, he refers in another thread to " Businessmen "

It shocked me, I can tell you.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service