Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Hello HOLers,

Reading through the information on the council website it seems I may have an expensive and annoying situation coming up which other's must surely have experience of. I have sent the following mail to the council but from past performance I don't expect a response for a good few days. Has anyone else on here been through this process since the payment office closed and is willing to offer advice/join the rant/fill in the blanks in the council website's information?

Thanks.

"Hello,

I will soon be buying a second hand vehicle privately and will require a resident's parking permit.
Your application form states that I will need to provide a copy of one of the following :

- Vehicle registration document showing Vehicle registered to your
HARINGEY address
• Invoice/Bill of Sale (within past 3 months and on company Headed Paper)
• Hire or Lease agreement
• A headed letter from your employer with vehicle registration document if
a company vehicle

As this is a private sale, the only one of these I will ever have is the vehicle registration document and
according to the DVLA website it will take 2 to 4 weeks for this to arrive. This will cause an unacceptable
delay to the process of getting a parking permit. Your form also states that it will take 10 working days
to process the online application, which in itself is unacceptable unless there is an alternative available for
getting a permit immediately. Following the closure of the Haringey Payment Service Office, I am
unaware of any such alternative.

I have some questions :

- What can I use instead of the registration document which I may not receive for 4 weeks after the purchase?
Will you accept the 'New Keeper Supplement' I will be given by the current owner on buying the car? I recall when
living in Newham I was able to pay for a full year permit but obtain a temporary 6 week permit using the new keeper supplement,
which I was then able to exchange for the full year permit free of charge when I received the registration document.
This struck me as a fair and sensible way of dealing with this situation.

- How can I obtain a parking permit on the same day, using appropriate documentation, following the closure of the
payment service office?

If there is no way to get a permit on the day, or indeed no alternative to the registration document, are there any provisions for
covering the cost of parking during the delay caused by the council's policies? If I use visitor's vouchers in the mean time and
assume it will take 4 weeks to get the v5C document from DVLA and another 2 weeks to get the permit from the council it will
cost me £90 as well as using half of my quarterly daily visitor's voucher allowance. Is it a policy of the council to make it
deliberatly difficult for people who purchase vehicles privately to obtain a resident's parking permit to raise money through
visitor's voucher sales? If so, it should be clearly stated so it can be challenged rather than hidden behind implications in
procedures. If not, the procedures should be improved and/or clarified on your website.

Please note that I am posting a copy of this on the website harringayonline.com and will also post your response as
there appears to be no clear statement on how you handle this situation, which must surely be quite common, on your website.

Please compare the information on your website with the following nearby councils, who seem to have had the necessary experience
or imagination to cover this sitation in their information :

- Hackney : Website states you can receive a permit on the same day from their Cashiers office, which they have not closed,
for a supplementary change of £10. It also states they will accept the New keeper's supplement in the case of a recently purchased
vehicle for issuing a 3 month permit.

- Islington : Website states residents must apply online but provide a 14 day printable 'holding permit'. They also accept the car insurance
schedule document as proof of vehicle ownership. It's possible to get this before purchasing the vehicle, unlike the registration
document.

I look forward to hearing from you."

Tags for Forum Posts: parking permits

Views: 770

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not posting on behalf of the Council but simply as one councillor who has taken an interest in this area.

The information on the Council's website includes the two paragraphs below. I may be wrong, but the second appears to apply. I agree with you that this could and should be clearer.

Vehicles registered to a non Haringey address.
• If your vehicle is not registered to your Haringey address, we reserve the right not issue a permit. If your vehicle has been bought in the last 3 months we would need to see an invoice or a Bill of Sale. The reason for this 3 month period is that it is a reasonable period that allows an owner of a newly purchased vehicle to notify the DVLA and receive the new vehicle registration form. Please note that the DVLA refer to this as 'Form V5'.
• We will issue a permit where a Haringey resident has a vehicle registered to an alternative address, however we will need to fully understand the circumstances of this and we may require further documentation from you.

The website gives two ways get more information: online from parking@haringey.gov.uk ; or by phoning Customer Services on 020 8489 1000. As you say, many people will find themselves in a similar position to you. So please give us all an update following your contact tomorrow.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

I think you might be worrying about this too much!

I bought my car from a friend. We just typed up our own bill of sale which we printed off, signed and sent to the council. They accepted it without any problems. I think we used a template we found online to make sure the wording was correct.

Good luck!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service