Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Just been up in Muswell Hill and noticed there are five newly empty shops on the stretch of road by the cinema - I don't know which businesses have gone except for Leila, but it doesn't look good. I wonder if part of the problem is that Haringey charges £4 for an hour's pay and display parking up there - that's £1 more than in Crouch End or Harringay.

Title changed by site admin. Originally published as "Sign of the Times'

Tags for Forum Posts: muswell hill, parking charges

Views: 2055

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I asked a similar question in a post yesterday:

Does anyone know how this is working in Islington and what the chances of it happening in Haringey are?

http://www.islington.gov.uk/services/parking-roads/parking/where_to...

We already pay a lot to park outside our own homes. It seems insanity that we then have to pay again to park nearby in our own borough. Surely a roaming scheme would be a good thing for boosting the local economy in Haringey.

Shoppers are being squeezed out from the High Street by high council parking charges. But ...

At many of the big domestic-owned supermarkets, there is often ample free parking available, such as the Sainsbury's at Harringay.

The only problem is, that the saving made on parking charges is clawed back – and then some – by the prices charged, that are rich in polyun saturated margarine margins.

Have I misunderstood something here? The rates are these, are they not?

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/index/environment_and_transport/parking/...

This is an absolute pittance to rent a large chunk of public land.

Is a parking space really a large chunk of land?

Broadly, a parking space is land, but more accurately its part of the public highway that the public uses.

Where property not being flogged off, councils engage in more and more renting out public assets, to the extent one wonders what is now public space at all (and, what is the purpose of the council?). The regular temporary privatisations of parts of Finsbury Park come to mind.

Should the council now charge to enter a park, a much larger chunk of public land? To enter libraries? For book borrowing? What is the point of the council?

In aggregate, the pittances referred to come to a tidy sum and to an extent are now substituting for rates. The coyly described Haringey parking "surplus" for 2010/11 was £3,324,000 on total turnover of £12,134,000. It's not in the same high-fat margin league as Sainsburys, but its a business in rude health with high growth prospects.

It's public land that we're all equally entitled to and interested in. The cost of administering it is irrelevant. I'm personally glad they make a surplus. I hope they will make more. They can spend it on trees and pavements and parks and other such things that are beneficial. By flogging it off below market rate the council are giving a subsidy to an almost uniquely destructive form of transport.

That sounds a good idea, Bethany.

Have you tried parking in Hackney of late? Parking around Mare St is controlled until 11 p.m., so if you want to go to the cinema or other entertainment venues you have to pay a whole lot on top to park, even though the streets are mostly empty. Councils are really shooting themselves in the foot if they want to support thriving local areas.

A friend of mine once got a parking ticket at 10.30 pm on a Saturday there - it was introduced, apparently, because of the Hackney Empire theatre-goers causing (relative) chaos.

Except there are hardly ever things on there - they could do "event day" parking rather than all the time.

Im a street trader in wood green high road my trade has dropped 80% since cpz i understand that the council introduced cpz for revenue but soon the shops would not be able to afford there rent and rates this would leave only the big coperate companies to take over high street shops....RIP to street traders

Is there a group of traders or residents that could get together and lobby the council for a CPZ roaming scheme like Islington have?

But first it would be good to have an idea of how it's working in Islington, anybody got any idea?

There is. They do; vociferously.

Are they already lobbying for a roaming scheme?

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service