Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

I took my first trip to Park Rd lido this afternoon since its been under Fusion management.

I can report that the policy is now to shut half the lido - "To save money on lifeguards"

In practice, because 50% of the remaining space is sectioned for lane swimmers only a quarter of the pool is available for children, families & casual swimmers. 

Not so good especially considering they've increased the price of adult entry by 24% since last year to an eye-watering £5.60 per swim - with, according to the counter-staff, no discounts available through membership.

The very helpful duty manager gave me the email address of the site manager

hartley.alleyne@fusion-lifestyle.com

And suggested I complain to him but I wonder if anyone has the relevant contact in the council so I can cc them too - presumably when they accepted Fusion's tender it wasn't on the basis of only providing half the facilities available under the old regime.

Views: 1916

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, do you mean Sunshine garden centre was once a lido? I never knew that. When did that happen?
Thanks, it sounds amazing. A sad end. I just found this info (below) too, from:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/oliver.merrington/lidos/lidos1closed.h...

Will have a proper nose round next time I am there.

Bounds Green: Durnsford Road Open Air Pool

Durnsford Road, Bounds Green, N11

Opened in August 1934, 165 by 92 ft, double shallow end, 3ft 6ins to 8ft 6ins deep, cost £26,411. Designed by E.P. Mawson. The 600,000 gallons were filled by road tanker from an artesian well in Broomfield Road after the Metropolitan Water Board refused to provide the water to Wood Green Council.

Did not open in 1980, due to the poor condition of the men's changing rooms. Reopened in 1981 after repairs completed. Finally closed after 1988 season.

Most of the original architecture is still evident today as this lido is now the Sunshine Garden Centre. Anne-Marie Penny writes: "The diving board structure has recently been dismantled, but the changing rooms are still in use, as potting sheds!"

Philip Foxe writes: "I was in the Sunshine Garden Centre on Durnsford Road the other day ... I can never forget that it was once a very popular place with local teenagers - when it was an open-air swimming pool - which was sold off ..."

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service