Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Oxford Street to be pedestrianised by 2020 ... so Wightman Rd ...

... can surely be closed to through traffic in the future, as it currently is during the bridge works. If the planners can deal with the re-routing of all those buses and taxi journeys away from Oxford Street for the pedestrianisation plans, it must be possible to do this for Wightman Road as well.

Living Wightman would do well to have a chat with the new Mayor's office.

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge closure

Views: 10785

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

An acceptable traffic level for me would need to meet at least the following:

- Meet EU pollution levels

- Increases safety such that it encourages more cycle journeys

- Allows for the pavements to be returned to pedestrians, and generally reduce noise, fumes, and road safety issues so that it encourages more walking journeys, and people to spend more time at the front of their houses rather than locked inside or at the back, which promotes a sense of community.

These are all measurable effects of the current layout (although there is still pavement parking), but other layouts could probably achieve the same.

I'm sure these are all Council, and GLA objectives too.

Mwah!

Antoinette, JulieB, Natasha H, Jessica you're already off to a flying start with the crowdfunding - why wait until September when you could start now, for example just pick any frequently congested stretch of A-road (say, Tottenham High Road, Great Cambridge Road or even the North Circular itself), and start a campaign to remove the cul-de-sacs and one-way systems on the adjacent residential sidestreets which are surely the cause of the congestion?

There's no need to start anything....because Wightman Road will reopen on 1st September
I think once again you are failing to grasp the difference between a residential side street and a B road.

I understand where Whightman Road residents are coming from: I have lived on a main road and it was a pain. It was noisy, polluted, and difficult to get deliveries. The difference is that when I had enough of it I moved to a quieter street. I didn't ask for the main road to be closed to through traffic, because that would have been a ridiculous suggestion.

If Whightman road residents had a more global outlook on the traffic situation, rather than nimbyism, I would have a lot more sympathy. Displacing the problem elsewhere will be detrimental to far more people than the few whightman road residents who would benefit.

Personally I think filtering Wightman is a model solution that could be applied all over London. Think globally, act locally, as they say.

The problem has only been displaced because when the filtering was introduced for the bridgeworks there were no compensating measures introduced elsewhere. They weren't even able to change the traffic light phases properly.

I totally agree with your statement.
Julie; re Traffic Orders, here's the latest guidance; https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_dat...

From that; 3.4 Temporary traffic orders may last for up to 6 months on footpaths etc., and for 18 months on other roads. Temporary orders may be extended in certain circumstances.

Thanks Matt, that is interesting - a shame it doesn't say which 'certain circumstances' are allowable.

The person at the council in charge of the temporary traffic order for the bridge works told me that when the bridge works are finished the traffic order they used to close/filter the road expires and they have to remove the barriers.

I've already outlined what the certain circumstances are.....if the designated works overrun.  I work at a Council (not Haringey).  I've spoken to the people whose job it is to know about these things.  Those are the only circumstances allowed.

If you applied for Haringey Council, you wouldn't have to commute, you could cycle down Wightman.
1. There has to be a job to apply for.
2. As my tail bone is fused together with the first 2 vertabrae in my back I couldn't cycle to the end of the street without being in agony, so thanks for that completely unhelpful suggestion.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service