Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

This premises used to be home to HK Furnishings in Hermitage Road.

On Friday a small fire occurred within and the Fire Brigade were called.

It is currently home to `artists` and used as workshops and residential living accomodation with scores of residents.

The Fire Brigade were so appalled by some of the construction works which was done to seperate the old HK Furnishing floor spaces into living accomodation that they ordered a closure of the premises. 

Tags for Forum Posts: omega works

Views: 3083

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As one of the many who live in the warehouses, I agree with Sam.

The fire was started apparently by someone who put a foil barbecue on a neighbour's flat roof, (not even any bricks underneath (had too many ciders, left it burning, and went back into his own building, and went to sleep. The next thing they knew the burning roof had fallen in. Incredibly no-one was in the room at the time. A stupid fire, (not that there are often many other types) This idiot could have been living anywhere, just happened to be one of the warehouses.

Its true some of the building regulations haven't been up to scratch, many of the warehouses started to be inhabited as live/work twenty years ago, when nobody was interested in the area, and rents were cheaper- so that it was affordable for artists. Like Shoreditch, Hoxton, and older still, Marylebone, often areas that have a large population of artists do become more desirable, and ironically push out the very people that made them so! But that's another discussion! In this particular instance I believe the landlord is sorting out the problem, and is working with the Fire Brigade to make sure the rest of the buildings are not in the same position, checking escape routes etc.

Those of us living in the warehouses appreciate the space one has with a warehouse, which allows us to do what we do. We number musicians of every type, artists of every medium, performance artists, graphic designers, furniture designers, woodworkers, clowns, circus performers, tailors, fashion designers, costumiers, tattoo artists, yoga/pilates teachers, photographers, dancers, gallery owners, arts administrators, puppeteers, props designers, and they're only the ones I can think off the top of my head. We would love to have more to do in the locality, I know many of the musicians play regularly in the local bars, I've played for Music on the Ladder, and many like Ingo, Dan, Sam and others have been or are more involved in trying to set up venues and bigger events (like the festival in Clissold Park) so Harringay has its own vibrant arts-life that everyone can enjoy.

There's an open Warehouse Day on the 15th June. Come along and meet some of us...

Thanks, Emma, for this explanation. And for your enthusiasm about getting involved in arts locally.

From friends of ours who were once located in Brick Lane and later in Hackney, it seems likely that this "organic" bottom-up development and movement is far more likely to attract and nurture creative artists than the top down "Cultural Quarter" nonsense spouted by Haringey's planners and politicians. 

You say: "Its true some of the building regulations haven't been up to scratch". Well I apologise if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick. But this gives me a feeling you may be playing down possible risks.

I know nothing about your building and your landlords. But in Haringey as elsewhere there are unscrupulous owners who cut corners and ignore regulations. No doubt complaining about "officious bureaucrats" and "red-tape". And then someone dies; or gets burned out of their home or business.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

Alan, it's worth pointing out that there are actually many landlords responsible for conversions across several sites that are now inhabited by approx 1500 people in total.

Yet, the fire that Emma mentioned has been stated as having been caused by someone BBQing on someone else's roof, this not suggesting any breach of standards or regulations.

The one on Omega was described to me as having been caused by a roofer, doing repairs at the time, similarly not suggestive of any inherent issues with the actual building. 

I think I recognise the type of situation you're describing, Ingo. If they're good landlords they'll make sure their building is properly run and protected. But the unscrupulous ones may not.

In my own ward, I've found residential blocks with chains of companies. Maybe with a freeholder who lives abroad and sees the property purely as an income stream. Fire doors; fire exits not a priority?  But more landlords, more companies, means more work to find out who's responsible for what. They like it that way.

I'm unsure of your point about the roofer. Did anyone know about the work underway? Were safety precautions taken? Or did people simply assume the roofer knew what they were doing and were working safely?

I ask because there's a fashion to scoff at "elf-n-safety" as part of the "nanny state".

Haringey had a school partly burned down when roofers started a fire. Before the fire a union rep had tried unsuccessfully to raise the danger with the headteacher.

(Tottenham Hale ward councillor)

apology accepted for "getting the wrong end of the stick"

I think that Emma means the places occupied in the past weren't up to scratch... I cannot speak for all of the warehouses but my landlord (and Emma's) sends fire officers around once a month to check fire alarms and exits, and he does this for all of his buildings, which make up a large amount of the area.

Obviously there are many different owners and they all have different practices but let's face it... the industry that once thrived here is gone, this change is inevitable, what the council should be doing in my opinion is getting behind the landlords who are doing things properly and rooting out the minority that put peoples lives at risk and tarnish the whole area.

As Emma said the warehouses have been under conversion for 20 years and the legality and building standards has exponentially increased over that time. The council coming into the picture now and trying to say that we live in an unsafe environment is like locking the door long after the horse has bolted. I have seen a huge amount of time, energy and money going into bringing the area up to reasonable standards, let's hope that continues.

Completely agree - these really are not the landlords that the council should be cracking down on...shame they have to focus on those who are doing something positive and creating interesting living spaces when there are so many slum landlords forcing people to live in sub-standard conditions elsewhere. 

Sam, adopting your metaphor, the "horses" are still in the stable.

Whether or not the Council or Fire Brigade have been doing their jobs in the past is no reason to avoid doing it now. Whether any building is properly managed and up to fire safety standards is largely a question of fact.  If it is - good. If it isn't, then it needs to be. No ifs; no buts.

I couldn't agree more.

there is no reason for the council or the fire brigade to avoid doing their job.

surely that would be ludicrous 

Hi Sam.

The Fire Brigade were unaware until they attended on Friday that the buildings were residentially occupied - or as to the number of occupants actually living there.

The Fire Brigade are so worried about the arrangements there that special measures have now temporarily been put in place should another fire occur.

Regarding your comments "but my landlord (and Emma's) sends fire officers around once a month to check fire alarms and exits, and he does this for all of his buildings, which make up a large amount of the area."    

Do you know where these Fire Officers come from. Are they from a Private Fire/Securiry company?

Attached is an image taken of the fire alarm system within the site, showing a `fault` - indicating that maintenence/service is due.

Im not sure what effect this `fault` would have on its operation as it appears that a number of smoke/fire detectors actually run from this panel.

Attachments:

I do not live on Omega Works... I have  been talking about the generalisation of the warehouse community.

If a place is unsafe I fully agree that it should be brought up to regulations.

I was simply making the point that most of the warehouses are now.

the company that carry out the monthly safety checks on my warehouse are Lightside consultancy

One thing that I don't understand is how come the council can claim council tax from residents and not inform other departments that people are occupying the properties.

As I am aware, residents of Omega Works have paid council tax for more than 5 years and one of the properties had funding from the council as a live work space.

and yet

"The Fire Brigade were unaware until they attended on Friday that the buildings were residentially occupied - or as to the number of occupants actually living there."

to my knowledge the fire brigade and council checked all of the units in Omega Works, over 30 properties and they closed down only 1 unit, not all of Omega Works.

Hi Sam.

You are correct. Only one unit has been issued with a prohibition order so far.

The London Fire Brigade Fire Safety teams are currently looking into the inspections process of the other units (and premises in Haringey).

There are other breaches of regulations which are concerning the fire brigade and these are activley being addressed with hopefully resolutions before further formal actiona are undertaken.

Im not sure what the process for notification of a change from Industrial/Commercial to residential use is, but will try and find out.

Several similar units in Fountayne Road N17 have also had orders issued recently.

Hmmm, I have waded in erroneously- sorry, I think there must have been two fires in the last little while- I was thinking of one which is owned by the same landlord as me, (how I knew anything about it) not Omega. Excuses!

Let's hope it all gets resolved soon.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service