Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

full story here

Tags for Forum Posts: old ale emporium

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good for them.

Meanwhile Lynne Featherstone, MP is up for a gay rights award. Here.
Fantastic news, well done David and Hazel.

This is in my opinion the friendliest traditional local in Harringay. Constant changing ales, warm welcome and sixty pence cheaper a pint than the Salisbury (another great pub mind).
I'm happy for this pub to get it's award for beer. I am not very happy for them to use 'outdoors' heaters. i can think of nothing more wasteful than heating the 'outside' of a pub.
I agree James, but at least they are put on a ten minute timer. In the summer no one uses them and you have to press the button to get them to work, most people don't use them as they are only out there for a quick rolly. I tend to sit outside with a friend and put on my thermals.
Best getting a 44 gallon drum, filling it with Green Lanes litter and lighting that ... NYC style. Council will probably thank you for it and give you a 'community' award.
Are you serious ?
Outdoor heating a comfort ?
Please tell me this is a joke.
To put this into context, the heaters are probably on 1% of the time the pub is open and there are three heaters which are activated individually keeping the usage to a minimum

This is probably equaled to that of a listed pub up the road in which the doors are often left open and the walls have no insulation and heat escapes with ease. There are also various gas heaters on full, trying to heat a huge pub.

As I said not perfect but a reasonable solution compared to most bars who have gas burners full on for the duration of the evening.
I am very very suprised at the defensive stance about heating the air outside
Read my posts James, not defending them just understanding how they 'really' work rather than hysterically critising it without understand how they are used. If they were all on all of the time full blast, a far greater concern. As a local of that pub I have observed how they are used and who uses them. Maybe the fact that the vast majority of the produce is brewed in the UK and not transported via Europe as fancy lagers are, it may offset their footprint somewhat.
Outdoor heaters heat the sky there's no justification for it. Thats how they 'really work'
Don't think i'm being 'hysterical'
Obviously not reading the posts so if you would like to start a thread entitled 'Harringay Pubs and Their Ethical Merits', feel free. This is thread is about the award the OAE has received for serving good quality, well kept, local and national ales in reusable kegs and drunk out of reusable glasses that haven't been packaged, bottled and imported from the other side of Europe - no justification!

I am happy to carry on this discussion in the newly titled thread.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service