Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Clearing out old paperwork, I came across this print, which I must have either bought or more likely been given as a barely-teenager (the 10s selling price was quite a lot of pocket money in 1965!).

Looking at it again for the first time in decades, I noticed the 'high class varieties" on offer at the Wood Green Empire, and I presume from its number that this route was simply replaced by buses at some later point (maybe 1952 when the last London trams ran).

I'm also amused that the original drawing is credited to "Vernon E Prescott-Pickup Esq"; you got a good class of artist even in the 60s....

Views: 570

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks John. For ease of Viewing, I'm adding those two images, below.

The first, I'm pretty sure now was shot from the tram yard across Jolly Butchrs Hill to the shops on the east side of the road.

This second photo was also taken in the tram yard looking towards the tramsheds.

This 1915 Ordnance Survey map extract helps with the geography.

The following two photos are already on HoL. The bell-tower is visible in both. In the first, it's towards the right of the image. In the second, it's towards the left, behind the tram.

I've just dug out and posted three more images that might help. The first is looking north up Jolly Butcher's Hill. The tram depot entrance is on the left, just as the buildings get lower.

The next photo shows the North Met tramway frontage and entrance on Jolly Butcher's Hill in 1910.

The last one shows the tram depot yard, shot from Jolly Butcher's Hill in 1929.

Hugh and others - thanks for the images and detail; I had no idea my loft investigation would lead to a whole local history thread.

On a related but different point, I was always sorry that Ken Livingstone's proposal for two new central London tram routes (Camden to Waterloo and beyond, and the West End to Ealing Broadway, I think) came to nothing. It would obviously be very hard to reinstall tram tracks on narrower London roads, but these routes seemed possible, given the relative width and straightness of the suggested routes.

Now there's a thing.... I used the 29 for years from the 50s on but never knew it had ever been a TRAM route! Thank you!

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service