Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Network Rail have formally announced on their website that Wightman Road bridge will reopen on Monday 5th September:

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/wightman-road-bridge-r...

Tags for Forum Posts: traffic, wightman bridge closure

Views: 5792

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just in time when National grid is digging up the whole road and blocking an entire lane of traffic from Mattison road onwards!
Those roadworks are scheduled to be completed by 2nd September. To be fair the fact that they managed to coordinate all those works to take place while the bridge was closed is a good thing.

However, for cyclists who have had to navigate insane traffic on Green Lanes for the last 6 months, this is a welcome relief...

It will be great to have the area flowing properly again.
It's incredible how selfish some people are. The closing of Wightman Rd has been incredibly problematic to so many more people, local and the surrounding areas. The traffic has been backed up everywhere else but it seems fine for all others to breath fumes, just not the precious noses of Wightman Rd residents...
This has always been a busy area when it comes to traffic and it was your choice to live here. London is a busy town of people and also traffic - this is not suburbia. If either of these things are an issue to you, you should maybe rethink your living choices, or maybe except all the fantastic benefits of living so central and make peace with the not so favorable things that actually contribute to making it the bustling melting pot that it is.

well said

Yes, very much agreed, I am relieved and glad to see it opening again, it has had far reaching consequences on the traffic. 

So what about all the other areas around the ladder that are closed to through traffic? Can we open them back up too?

Great attitude to all manner of things going on here 

I agree we need more traffic control like outer London congestion charge, improved public transport and cycleways and electric vehicles to reduce pollution. But residential streets were never intended for commuter traffic.
On Green Lanes reduced parking and a red route would cut jams and pollution.

And rephased traffic lights.  Some of the congestion seems to be directly caused by bad phasing.  I'm not sure how much of it is commuting though, when I walk up at 5.15ish from Manor House, there are loads of people heading into London in their cars (on their own for the most part).

I think the next mayor should campaign on a 'halving private vehicle traffic' ticket. All of the ideas mentioned above are good. Car pool lanes on two lane roads might be worth exploring too.

The was a candidate in the mayoral election standing on a ticket of banning private motor vehicle ownership. Next election I expect this to be taken much more seriously as autonomous vehicles will be just around the corner.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service