Harringay online

Harringay, Haringey - So Good they Spelt it Twice!

Out of interest, has anyone got the ball rolling to create a Harringay Neighbourhood Forum in line with the Localism Act?  Or perhaps an existing organisation is putting itself forward for the role (as the Highgate Society are doing)?  There are a couple of such initiatives west of the tracks, and I'm curious who else is doing so locally.

Ben

Tags for Forum Posts: neighbourhood forum, neighbourhood planning

Views: 3046

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure what you mean.  The concerned citizen represents a group campaigning about Crouch Hill Park, and is consulting key stakeholders to see whether a NF might be a good way forward.  Again; someone has to get things started.

Can you explain who "key stakeholders" are (or would be) in this case?

Councillors, MPs, planning officers, residents associations, traders associations, conservation area advisory committees, other civic groupings.  That sort of thing. 

Thanks for this. Is there an official list or is that your best guess? 

The Act specifies that at least one councillor should be invovled, and if memery serves they are keen on traders associations too.  We won't know more until the guidance comes out in April.  More in my full response to your point below, shortly.

Lord Harris of Carpet is drawing up the guest list with Mrs Teasdale. Go with the flow, David. It's a lot more fun than elections.

Rufus T. Firefly (by Appointment)

Come now.  In order to get anywhere the NF would need to consist of at least 21 declared individuals, and if the borough are to take them seriously those members would need to be delegates from legitimate civic organisation that represent community interests.

Part of the problem with the system at present is that councillors often take little interest in planning issues, and don’t compel the boroughs to have decent rules – and don’t enforce them when they do.  This may assist in remedying that problem.

Or it might be a massive bun-fight.  We’ll see.

Or it might be a massively pointless piece of theatre where the same people as before turn up to argue - sometimes reasonable points and sometimes not - in a system where the rules are increasingly skewed to favour landlords and property developers. While local councils are increasingly bled of resources to monitor and enforce the rules.

Arkady, enjoy your bunfight.

It might be better to adopt a less ambiguous abbreviation than " NF ". It certainly brought me up short

I know what you mean!  Maybe we can see this as 'claiming it back'.

Does anyone in Crouch Hill other than this "concerned citizen" have any idea of the decision being made to set up the forum? I am aware of no announcement other than this. The boundary is just down the street from me. 

I don't know much about the CH proposal, but I've seen representatives from various civic and residents groups at the few meetings I've attended.  Early days.

Look at it this way.  It's easy enough to know that the Act exists.  If it's something that you are interested in, then a quick call to your council or councillor should point you in the direction of any significant local initiatives, and you can get involved as much or as little as you like.

RSS

Advertising

© 2024   Created by Hugh.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service